Re: [Peterhead] Cemetery Records at Peterhead

  • Steve Broekmann
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 28, 2007
      Could Mary Robertson not perhaps be persuaded to post to everyone on the list when the CDs become available and what the cost would be?

      Ideally, could there be extracted from them an index of names so that people buying will at least know they have some prospect of finding who they might be interested in?

      Steve

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 28, 2007
          I too would be interested in obtaining copies of these CDs. A
          suggestion -
          since you say you are not sure if Mary Robertson is organised to sell
          them -
          could ANESFHS be asked to undertake this? They already distribute
          monumental inscriptions from other cemeteries. I do hope that the CDs
          can be made available soon.

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...

          On 27/11/2007, at 5:29 AM, Ian Robertson wrote:
          > Greeting to those interested in this topic.
          >
          > Last spring I visited Peterhead (after spending 2 days at ANESFHS
          > in Aberdeen). I was looking for my Robertson ancestors prior to
          > about 1822. I found two items which may be of interest.
          > 1. The Record Office in Peterhead has five binders listing who is
          > buried where in St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery. One of the books
          > is an alphabetical cross index to the other four books, each of
          > which are organized by Lair number. As six bodies may be buried
          > within a lair, and because most of the records were pretty
          > complete, you can get dates and names directly from the entries.
          > Offspring are often identified so family relationships are often
          > easy to decipher. I believe you must make a personal appearance to
          > look at these records, and a modest fee is charged for the effort.
          > 2. While at ANESFHS, I met a Mary Robertson, who told me of her
          > work to record tombstones, both at St Peters Old Churchyard
          > Cemetery, and also at Constitution Street Cemetery. After some
          > subsequent correspondence, Mary has sent me four CDs which record
          > in both text and pictures ALL the monumental inscriptions found at
          > those two cemeteries. With the search abilities of MS Word, family
          > trees just come 'bouncing out' of the data! Mary has not yet
          > confirmed to me she is organized to sell the CDs. So, if you are
          > interested, please email me, and I will pass your email on to her
          > for her attention.
          >

          > Sincerely,
          > Ian Robertson
          > Ian D Robertson Inc
          > Delta, BC, Canada
          > V4M 2K3
          > Tel: 604-943-3715
          > fax:604-943-7391
          > email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@..."idr@...
          > web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertsoninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.ca

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          > 11/25/2007 4:24 PM

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...

        • Ed Campbell
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 28, 2007
            Hello Ian:

            I would appreciate being added to the list to obtain the CDs.

            I can provide more info re my Robertson including Mary McKinnon Robertson
            who died 1938 in Peterhead. I wonder if the Mary you mentioned could be
            related?

            Many thanks,

            Ed. Campbell

            email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@... <mailto:idr%40robertsoninc.ca>
            "idr@... <mailto:idr%40robertsoninc.ca>
            web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertsoninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.ca

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            4:24 PM

          • Brenda Sleight
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 30, 2007
              Greetings Ian, I too would be interested in the CD's of Mary Roberston

              Regards
              Bren

              To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: pmwalker@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:16:27 -0800Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Cemetery Records at Peterhead

              Hello IanI too would like to get the CD's if Mary Robertson has them available tosell. Thanks for the information.Pat WalkerNew Westminster BCTel 604-540-8952From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com] On BehalfOf Ian RobertsonSent: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:29 AMTo: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comSubject: [Peterhead] Cemetery Records at PeterheadGreeting to those interested in this topic.Last spring I visited Peterhead (after spending 2 days at ANESFHS inAberdeen). I was looking for my Robertson ancestors prior to about 1822. Ifound two items which may be of interest.1. The Record Office in Peterhead has five binders listing who is buriedwhere in St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery. One of the books is analphabetical cross index to the other four books, each of which areorganized by Lair number. As six bodies may be buried within a lair, andbecause most of the records were pretty complete, you can get dates andnames directly from the entries. Offspring are often identified so familyrelationships are often easy to decipher. I believe you must make a personalappearance to look at these records, and a modest fee is charged for theeffort.2. While at ANESFHS, I met a Mary Robertson, who told me of her work torecord tombstones, both at St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery, and also atConstitution Street Cemetery. After some subsequent correspondence, Mary hassent me four CDs which record in both text and pictures ALL the monumentalinscriptions found at those two cemeteries. With the search abilities of MSWord, family trees just come 'bouncing out' of the data! Mary has not yetconfirmed to me she is organized to sell the CDs. So, if you are interested,please email me, and I will pass your email on to her for her attention.Sincerely,Ian RobertsonIan D Robertson IncDelta, BC, CanadaV4M 2K3Tel: 604-943-3715fax:604-943-7391email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@robertsoninc. <mailto:idr%40robertsoninc.ca>ca"idr@robertsoninc. <mailto:idr%40robertsoninc.ca> caweb: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertso <http://www.robertsoninc.ca/>ninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.caNo virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.7/1151 - Release Date: 11/25/20074:24 PM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Ken May
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 30, 2007
                Dear All,

                I too would like to be added to the list, but the cost of sending a large number of CDs around the world would be prohibitive.

                It might be possible to send one CD to each region, then rely on someone there to copy and distribute locally, keeping the costs to a minimum?

                Regards

                Ken

                email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@robertsoninc. ca"idr@robertsoninc. ca
                web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertso ninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc. ca

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • DeLories (De)
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
                  May I please be included for the CD. I live in Arizona(in the winter) &
                  Washington State(in the summer) and would be happy to make copies of the CD
                  to send to others in the US, if this would be of any help.

                  I too, have quite a few Robertson's from Peterhead as well as other surnames
                  and would be happy to share what I do have.

                  Regards

                  DeLories

                  www.tribalpages.com/tribes/cheyne

                • maymyo25
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 7, 2008
                    Ian,

                    Would you please add my name to the list of people interested in
                    purchasing the Peterhead cemetery CD's. I did manage to get to
                    Peterhead this year but could only stay a day. I did find one grave I
                    was looking for with information provided by the Registrar (alas, no
                    headstone) but need more information about the rest of the family
                    burials.

                    Many thanks,
                    Elizabeth Robertson

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Robertson" <idr@...> wrote:

                    > Greeting to those interested in this topic.
                    >
                    > Last spring I visited Peterhead (after spending 2 days at ANESFHS
                    in Aberdeen). I was looking for my Robertson ancestors prior to about
                    1822. I found two items which may be of interest.
                    > 1. The Record Office in Peterhead has five binders listing who is
                    buried where in St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery. One of the books
                    is an alphabetical cross index to the other four books, each of which
                    are organized by Lair number. As six bodies may be buried within a
                    lair, and because most of the records were pretty complete, you can
                    get dates and names directly from the entries. Offspring are often
                    identified so family relationships are often easy to decipher. I
                    believe you must make a personal appearance to look at these records,
                    and a modest fee is charged for the effort.
                    > 2. While at ANESFHS, I met a Mary Robertson, who told me of her
                    work to record tombstones, both at St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery,
                    and also at Constitution Street Cemetery. After some subsequent
                    correspondence, Mary has sent me four CDs which record in both text
                    and pictures ALL the monumental inscriptions found at those two
                    cemeteries. With the search abilities of MS Word, family trees just
                    come 'bouncing out' of the data! Mary has not yet confirmed to me
                    she is organized to sell the CDs. So, if you are interested, please
                    email me, and I will pass your email on to her for her attention.

                    > Sincerely,
                    > Ian Robertson
                    > Ian D Robertson Inc
                    > Delta, BC, Canada
                    > V4M 2K3
                    > Tel: 604-943-3715
                    > fax:604-943-7391
                    > email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@..."idr@...
                    > web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertsoninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.ca

                    > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    11/25/2007 4:24 PM

                  • haworth.jill
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Hello Ian: I would be interested in obtaining the CD's that you
                      are referring to, with regards to St. Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery
                      and Constitution Street Cemetery. Please let me know when they are
                      available.
                      Thank-you,
                      Jill Haworth

                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Robertson" <idr@...> wrote:

                      > Greeting to those interested in this topic.
                      >
                      > Last spring I visited Peterhead (after spending 2 days at ANESFHS
                      in Aberdeen). I was looking for my Robertson ancestors prior to about
                      1822. I found two items which may be of interest.
                      > 1. The Record Office in Peterhead has five binders listing who is
                      buried where in St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery. One of the books
                      is an alphabetical cross index to the other four books, each of which
                      are organized by Lair number. As six bodies may be buried within a
                      lair, and because most of the records were pretty complete, you can
                      get dates and names directly from the entries. Offspring are often
                      identified so family relationships are often easy to decipher. I
                      believe you must make a personal appearance to look at these records,
                      and a modest fee is charged for the effort.
                      > 2. While at ANESFHS, I met a Mary Robertson, who told me of her
                      work to record tombstones, both at St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery,
                      and also at Constitution Street Cemetery. After some subsequent
                      correspondence, Mary has sent me four CDs which record in both text
                      and pictures ALL the monumental inscriptions found at those two
                      cemeteries. With the search abilities of MS Word, family trees just
                      come 'bouncing out' of the data! Mary has not yet confirmed to me
                      she is organized to sell the CDs. So, if you are interested, please
                      email me, and I will pass your email on to her for her attention.

                      > Sincerely,
                      > Ian Robertson
                      > Ian D Robertson Inc
                      > Delta, BC, Canada
                      > V4M 2K3
                      > Tel: 604-943-3715
                      > fax:604-943-7391
                      > email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@..."idr@...
                      > web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertsoninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.ca

                      > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      11/25/2007 4:24 PM

                    • haworth.jill
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 7, 2008
                        Hello Ian: I would be interested in obtaining the CD's that you
                        are referring to, with regards to St. Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery
                        and Constitution Street Cemetery. Please let me know when they are
                        available.
                        Thank-you,
                        Jill Haworth

                        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Robertson" <idr@...> wrote:

                        > Greeting to those interested in this topic.
                        >
                        > Last spring I visited Peterhead (after spending 2 days at ANESFHS
                        in Aberdeen). I was looking for my Robertson ancestors prior to about
                        1822. I found two items which may be of interest.
                        > 1. The Record Office in Peterhead has five binders listing who is
                        buried where in St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery. One of the books
                        is an alphabetical cross index to the other four books, each of which
                        are organized by Lair number. As six bodies may be buried within a
                        lair, and because most of the records were pretty complete, you can
                        get dates and names directly from the entries. Offspring are often
                        identified so family relationships are often easy to decipher. I
                        believe you must make a personal appearance to look at these records,
                        and a modest fee is charged for the effort.
                        > 2. While at ANESFHS, I met a Mary Robertson, who told me of her
                        work to record tombstones, both at St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery,
                        and also at Constitution Street Cemetery. After some subsequent
                        correspondence, Mary has sent me four CDs which record in both text
                        and pictures ALL the monumental inscriptions found at those two
                        cemeteries. With the search abilities of MS Word, family trees just
                        come 'bouncing out' of the data! Mary has not yet confirmed to me
                        she is organized to sell the CDs. So, if you are interested, please
                        email me, and I will pass your email on to her for her attention.

                        > Sincerely,
                        > Ian Robertson
                        > Ian D Robertson Inc
                        > Delta, BC, Canada
                        > V4M 2K3
                        > Tel: 604-943-3715
                        > fax:604-943-7391
                        > email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@..."idr@...
                        > web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertsoninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.ca

                        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        11/25/2007 4:24 PM

                      • DeLories (De)
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 8, 2008
                          I, like so many, would be interested in the CD's. Let me know how much and
                          where I send the money.

                          I, also, have Robertson's in out Peterhead line as well as many Peterhead
                          ancestors and also from the surrounding areas.

                          Thank you

                          DeLories

                        • Gweneth Myers
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 8, 2008
                            G'day Ian
                            Seems like the CD is going to be a sell out before itis released. Congratulations! Would you please add me to your list as well.
                            Thanks heaps,
                            Gwen Myers.

                            Hello Ian: I would be interested in obtaining the CD's that you
                            are referring to, with regards to St. Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery
                            and Constitution Street Cemetery. Please let me know when they are
                            available.
                            Thank-you,
                            Jill Haworth

                            --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com, "Ian Robertson" <idr@...> wrote:

                            > Greeting to those interested in this topic.
                            >
                            > Last spring I visited Peterhead (after spending 2 days at ANESFHS
                            in Aberdeen). I was looking for my Robertson ancestors prior to about
                            1822. I found two items which may be of interest.
                            > 1. The Record Office in Peterhead has five binders listing who is
                            buried where in St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery. One of the books
                            is an alphabetical cross index to the other four books, each of which
                            are organized by Lair number. As six bodies may be buried within a
                            lair, and because most of the records were pretty complete, you can
                            get dates and names directly from the entries. Offspring are often
                            identified so family relationships are often easy to decipher. I
                            believe you must make a personal appearance to look at these records,
                            and a modest fee is charged for the effort.
                            > 2. While at ANESFHS, I met a Mary Robertson, who told me of her
                            work to record tombstones, both at St Peters Old Churchyard Cemetery,
                            and also at Constitution Street Cemetery. After some subsequent
                            correspondence, Mary has sent me four CDs which record in both text
                            and pictures ALL the monumental inscriptions found at those two
                            cemeteries. With the search abilities of MS Word, family trees just
                            come 'bouncing out' of the data! Mary has not yet confirmed to me
                            she is organized to sell the CDs. So, if you are interested, please
                            email me, and I will pass your email on to her for her attention.

                            > Sincerely,
                            > Ian Robertson
                            > Ian D Robertson Inc
                            > Delta, BC, Canada
                            > V4M 2K3
                            > Tel: 604-943-3715
                            > fax:604-943- 7391
                            > email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@ ..."idr@. ..
                            > web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertso ninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc. ca

                            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            11/25/2007 4:24 PM

                          • Ian Robertson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 9, 2008
                              Greetings to all interested in Peterhead Cemetery Records (and there are dozens of you).

                              Since I first posted my message back in November I have heard from over 30 people. I have also been able to get in contact with the author (with whom I had lost contact temporarily). Initially it was agreed that I would make copies and sell from Canada. Then just after Christmas I received word that a new genealogy group was being set up in Peterhead. It will include a person knowledgeable in IT, and that they would like to make and distribute copies themselves. This is the wish of the author.

                              So for now I would ask everyone to be a bit patient, to wait for a note on this discussion group, and then for you to make your request known to them.

                              As I understand it, the Old Churchyard is a 'finished product', but Mary Robertson wants to do some more work on the Constitution St Cemetery - so I am not sure of its distribution status.

                              Sincerely,
                              Ian Robertson
                              864 Pacific Dr
                              Delta, BC, Canada
                              V4M 2K3
                              Tel: 604-943-3715
                              fax:604-943-7391
                              email: HYPERLINK "mailto:idr@..."idr@...
                              web: HYPERLINK "http://www.robertsoninc.ca/"www.robertsoninc.ca

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                            • kathytrevelyan
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 13, 2008
                                I'd like a CD too please!
                                Kathy

                                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Gweneth Myers <gwenethmyers@...>
                                wrote:

                                > G'day Ian
                                > Seems like the CD is going to be a sell out before itis released.
                                Congratulations! Would you please add me to your list as well.
                                > Thanks heaps,
                                > Gwen Myers.

                              • kathytrevelyan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 13, 2008

                                  wrote:

                                  > G'day Ian
                                  > Seems like the CD is going to be a sell out before itis released.
                                  Congratulations! Would you please add me to your list as well.
                                  > Thanks heaps,
                                  > Gwen Myers.

                                • traceclip
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 13, 2008
                                    Thank you Ian for posting this information. I am among the interested
                                    parties who have not yet registered an interest with you, and will
                                    keep an eye on the forum to see when this becomes available.

                                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Robertson" <idr@...> wrote:

                                    > Greetings to all interested in Peterhead Cemetery Records (and there
                                    are dozens of you).

                                    > Since I first posted my message back in November I have heard from
                                    over 30 people. I have also been able to get in contact with the
                                    author (with whom I had lost contact temporarily). Initially it was
                                    agreed that I would make copies and sell from Canada. Then just after
                                    Christmas I received word that a new genealogy group was being set up
                                    in Peterhead. It will include a person knowledgeable in IT, and that
                                    they would like to make and distribute copies themselves. This is the
                                    wish of the author.

                                    > So for now I would ask everyone to be a bit patient, to wait for a
                                    note on this discussion group, and then for you to make your request
                                    known to them.

                                    > As I understand it, the Old Churchyard is a 'finished product', but
                                    Mary Robertson wants to do some more work on the Constitution St
                                    Cemetery - so I am not sure of its distribution status.

                                    > Sincerely,
                                    > Ian Robertson
                                    > 864 Pacific Dr
                                    > Delta, BC, Canada