re: john johnston master mariner peterhead 1840 - 1860

  • cats2308
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
      I am trying to find out some information on my gggrandfather. I have
      just purchased some CD's that I thought were going to give me some help
      only to find they are just indexes to files at the PRO. I am very
      clueless here, I dont mind paying for information/CD's that are going
      to give me some helpful information but am not happy about paying for
      CD's that are of absolutely no use to me at all. Is there anyone out
      there that can give me some advice on what I should be looking at and
      as I am in Australia if I need to arrange for someone to do the
      research for me.

      Regards
      Carol
    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
        Hi Carol,

        Post some details regarding your gggf and perhaps someone on the list
        will be able to offer further information ...

        Roy

        ________________________________

        I am trying to find out some information on my gggrandfather. I have
        just purchased some CD's that I thought were going to give me some help
        only to find they are just indexes to files at the PRO. I am very
        clueless here, I dont mind paying for information/CD's that are going
        to give me some helpful information but am not happy about paying for
        CD's that are of absolutely no use to me at all. Is there anyone out
        there that can give me some advice on what I should be looking at and
        as I am in Australia if I need to arrange for someone to do the
        research for me.

        Regards
        Carol

        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        of this communication or message.

      • Cci
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
          Hi Carol,

          You could try the Mariners site, it's free like this site.

          Mariners-L-request@...

          or

          BRITISH-MARINERS-L-request@...

          I've had a lot of help from those groups all to do with mariners and vessels.

          Was your John Johnston born in Peterhead, I could look up of the Parish and Probate records to see if there's anything on him.

          Catherine,
          Perth, Western Australia

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
            Thx Catherine and Roy for answering my plea for help.

            Catherine, I have been having problems mainly as they were episcopalian
            and the only place I have found that has the records is Aberdeen and NE
            Scotland Family History Society. They did a look up for me and I
            received the information today but they could only find births for 4
            children one of which I didnt even know existed.

            As Roy said, post some information and maybe someone can help.

            John and Mary Johnston, he was a master mariner (seaman apprentice in
            1841 census)they had Mary b 1841, Matilda b 1846, and my ggrandfather
            John b 1853 all born peterhead, william born 1851 and Margaret b 1848
            both glasgow and today I found there was another John b 1843 but he was
            not mentioned in the 1851 census so am presuming he did not live.
            According to the 1851 census Mary was a seamans wife but by 1861
            census she was a widow and came to aus in 1863. There are no records
            anywhere of John's death so have no idea what happened or where he died.
          • Cci
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
              Hi,
              I had 1 credit left at Scotlandspeople, this is what I typed in and got.

              John Johnston, 19 on the 1841 census, so by 1851 he would be 29.
              He was'nt on the 1861, so I put a search for a death between 1851 and 1861,
              ages 28 to 39.

              year mothers surname age district GRO no.
              1856 Mertin 36 Selkirk 779/00 0001
              1857 Ruddiman 36 Aberdeen 204/00 0048
              1857 Lyon 36 Midlothian 689/00 0017
              1858 37 Lanark 649/00 0001
              1858 38 Lanark 622/02 0116
              1861 Days 40 Renfrew 564/03 0584
              1861 McKimma 38 Dumfries 869/00 0049

              Perhaps I've missed him, but perhaps you know his mother's maiden name and it's one of the above.

              There are a couple of entries in the Probate and Parish entries of a John Johnston being witness to baptisms,
              eg,
              John Lawrence, Seaman in Peterhead and Helen Henderson his wife
              a dau Sarah born 3 Oct 147 bap 6 Oct 1847
              before John Johnston and Alexander Thomson.

              If you would like more of them, just ask.

              Best wishes,
              Catherine

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
                Hi,

                How and where may I get access to the Peterhead Probate and
                Parish records?

                Best regards, Sam

                Researching: Daniel, Dick surnames

              • cats2308
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
                  Hi Catherine,

                  Thx for doing that. I dont know the important things about John
                  really, where he was born, who his parents were or his death. I am
                  presuming he had a brother as I went onto the scotlands people site you
                  told me about and he was living with an alexander johnston in the 1841
                  census and they were both seamen apprentices. I think that his seamens
                  records are where I will find the information I need but it is just
                  knowing where to start. I had a look at the mariners msg board you
                  mentioned too and will give that a try.

                  Regards
                  Carol