Re: [Peterhead] lost a family after getting 2 mixed up

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
      Gwen,
      Here's a start.
      1861 census
      District Fyvie
      address Cairnhill
      William Anderson, head, mar, 34, Ag labourer, brn Alford Aberdeenshire
      Susan Anderson, wife, mar, 31, brn Old Meldrum
      William Anderson, son, 6, scholar, brn Old Meldrum
      James Anderson, son, 5, scholar, brn Old Meldrum
      Isabella Anderson, dau, 3, brn, Fyvie

      Will send more when I find it,
      Catherine

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
        1871 census
        Parish Fyvie
        address Cloverycrooke
        William Anderson, head, mar, 44, Farm servant, brn Alford
        Susan Anderson, wife, mar, 43, brn Meldrum
        Mary Anderson, dau, 9, scholar, brn Fyvie
        George Anderson, son, 7, scholar, brn Fyvie
        Thomas Anderson, son, 5, scholar, brn Fyvie

        Parish Melrose, Roxburghshire
        address Parish School House
        Isabella Anderson, 13, General servant, brn Fyvie
        Francis Tocher, head, mar, School master, brn Daviot
        Catherine Tocher, wife, mar, brn Montrose Forfar
        Helen Jane Tocher, dau, 15, brn Melrose
        James Ray Tocher, son, 14, brn Melrose
        Francis Tocher, son, 13, brn Melrose
        George Tocher, son, 9, scholar, brn Melrose
        Mary Hay Tocher, dau, 7, scholar, brn Melrose
        Alexander Willian Tocher, son, 5, scholar, brn Melrose
        Barbara E. Tocher, dau, 3, brn Melrose

        Parish Daviot
        address Whitemire
        James Anderson, 15, Farm servant, brn Meldrum
        James Locher, head, mar, 36, Farmer of 41 acrs emp 1 lab, brn Daviot
        Hellen Locher, wife, mar, 31
        Hellen Locher, dau, 11, scholar,
        James Locher, son, 9, scholar
        Charles Locher, son, 7, scholar
        Margaret Cannon, 15, Servant

        I can't find William on the 1871 census, so if he is dead his death cert will be at Scotlandspeople,
        you can get a copy of it for 6 credits.

        Catherine

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
          Hi Gwen,

          A bit of a conundrum William Anderson b. c1855

          He shows up in the 1861 census as being 6 years old and born in Old
          Meldrum his brother James being 5 years old and also born in Old
          Meldrum (actual date of birth for james 9/12/1895).

          Looking at James birth register entry it states that there are two boys
          living; most of these entries that I have seen are usually a bit more
          helpful and tell you under the mothers name if the child is 1st 2nd 3rd
          etc. So is James 1 of the 2 living, or are there 2 elder brothers
          including William. I have had a good look but can't find any births
          that meet the criteria!

          Of course its entirely possible that William was a son from a former
          marriage of his father...or illegitimate from Susan, more investigation
          I think.

          Colin Murray

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "gyphania" <thgirwg@...> wrote:

          > ive lost a family william anderson s of andrew anderson and margt
          gray
          > bc 1834 m susan thom i gather shes d of john thom and mary may
          > they m in peterhead in 1855 andhad william 1855 patrick j 1857
          > isabella skene 1858 eliz duguid 1868 george 1864 thomas 1865 and mary
          > 1861
          > the youngest was born in culsalmond and geo thomas and mary b in
          fyvie
          > the eldest 2 in peterhead
          > i think the son wm died in 1856 but cant find the rest of the
          children
          > anyone help pls
          > gwen

        • gyphania
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Murray" <scuba1@...> wrote:
            >yes colin there is a conundrum there are 2 william anderson and
            susan thom marriages one had son james 1855 who m jane dunn susan
            was born in old meldrum the one im looking for m wm anderson in
            peterhead so i assume she too was born in peterhead
            mix up with 2 families i do know william anderson and susan had son
            wm b 1855 d 1856 and i assume s patrick jamieson as he was too born
            phead then there is other issue born in fyvie not sure if there from
            this family or the other marriage a d isabella d mary d elizabeth
            wish i could unravel any one care to try