McRoberts/Miller/Murray

  • sarabbeydiane
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hello,
      I have a John McRoberts born abt 1820 Scotland married to Elspeth
      Miller/Millar born Nov 1824 England married 10 Dec 1844
      Peterhead/Longside. I would like to find Johns parents and I have
      Robert Miller as Elspeths father don't know if her mother is Barbara
      Murray or Byrd... Two of Johs children were born in Scotland Elspeth
      Sept 1846 Scotland and Mary Annie born 1847/48 Scotland. Then I find
      them arriving in Buffalo NY then to Ontario.
      I found this 1840 census

      Robert Miller male age 60 Army Pensioner, born Outside Census
      County
      Barbara age 50 born Aberdeenshire
      Mary age 20 born England
      Elspet age 15 born England

      Ed district 4
      Civil Parish Peterhead- Parl. Burg
      folio 4
      page 4
      Address Queen St.

      I am not familiar with what records I can acquire for this time
      period or how to acquire them. Can anyone suggest some avenues? I
      live in the US.
      Thank you
      Diane
    • M La Rooij
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
        Hello Diane,
        I was interested in your post as I have a Robert MILLER/MILLAR who is a witness to the christenings of several children of William STRACHAN & his wife Helen ms MURRAY. I could never identify him although all other witness are relations. Do you have a death certificate for Elspeth? If so has it any useful information? How unfortunate the births etc are prior to civil registration! If you were sure of the mother as MURRAY that would help. Have you tried the Army Records for Robert?
        Cheers,
        Marion

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2007
          HI Marion, I do have her death certificate and it lists Barbara C. Murray as
          mother born Scotland and Robert Mc Robert born England. I don't know how to
          go about looking at the Army records do you? What was the time period for
          this Robert Miller? My Robert was born abt 1781 and Barbara born abt 1790.
          Thank you for your response
          Diane

        • M La Rooij
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 21, 2007
            Hi,
            Sorry to be so long but couldn't find notes. Not that I have anything really. Robert MILLER was a witness to many christenings of John & Jean MURRAY's children in Peterhead. If he was married to a Barbara she was most likely Barbara chr 14 Dec 1760 Keithhall & Kinkell, Aberdeen, the dau of James MURRAY & Jane TAPP. they were married in 1746 there. I can't be positive though, there is not a lot of evidence, & as you say, his wife may not have been Barbara. These army people are so hard to trace. Were Elspeth & Mary Anne born in Aberdeen?
            Army records are held at National Archives (England), put A2A in your search engine..you can search the catalogue online & also buy any records you find. However army records are hit & miss as they seem to be only discharge records. You might be lucky as he was discharged since alive at 60 & a Pensioner. He would be a Chelsea Pensioner, the pension was paid to their home address, only a few lived at Chelsea. Can you confirm any ages by their deaths?
            Cheers,
            Marion