Re: [Peterhead] ALEXANDER WATT

  • Hazel Stevenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2007
      For Alex Ritchie,

      Thanks Alex. These are indeed my Watts - JOHN WATT and his son, John jnr, bapt. 2/5/1808 and a Peterhead fisherman or harbour pilot all his life. John jnr never married. He can be found in the 1871 census living with his niece and nephew MARY HAY and WILLIAM HAY. (The Hay family have been of interest to other group members in the past.)

      The various crew members of the Roanhead fishing boats were either related or very close friends, with the names familiar to me as the men acted as christening witnesses to each other. Most of the families represented lived close to each other and they can be traced through the various censuses. This amazing list from 1830 which names the ordinary fishermen seems to be the earliest available, but you live in hope that someone will unearth something else.

      All for now, Hazel S.

      ugiepark1 <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:
      For Hazel Stevenson :

      Hello Hazel,in Alex R.Buchan's book "Port of Peterhead", there is a
      list of part-time (winter) fishermen in the Ronheads. For 1830 one of
      the boats listed is the "Friendship" and the crew were :
      John Watt, John Lawrance, John May, John Watt Jnr., John Martin &
      Robert Sellar.
      For 1831 the "Speedwell" is listed with the crew : William Youle
      (Master), John Hutchison, Robert Sangster, D.Ross, John Watt & John
      Watt jnr. (The "Friendship" was not at sea in 1831).

      I don't know if these Watts listed above are from your Watts. Notice
      John Martin on the "Friendship" in 1831 would be the father of John
      Martin who died in the West Indies.

      Best Regards.............Alex Ritchie