Re: [Peterhead] JOHN MARTIN/ALEXANDER WATT

  • Hazel Stevenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2007
      Hello Alex,

      Many thanks for your reply. I was amazed at the details about "The Taurus" to add to my tree as I knew nothing about this, nor about Alexander Martin's death at sea.

      As to ALEXANDER WATT - brother of my 3g grandfather JOHN WATT - you may remember we corresponded about this before. I think there's a good chance the man who was buried in 1830 was Margaret Watt's father. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find out more about their family to establish whether they came from Roanheads or from further round the coast at Broadsea. I couldn't find any likely recorded baptisms of both brothers - Alexander in 1779 and John in 1769, if the ages on the OPR death lists are correct.

      We live in hope that new information will come to light...

      Thanks again for your help,

      Hazel S.

      ugiepark1 <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:
      For : Hazel Stevenson

      Hi Hazel,
      1) No I've never been able to find out any more about John Martin's
      death. I'm beat because I don't have the name of his vessel. I've
      searched Lloyds registers and the Registers of Shipping for Aberdeen
      without success.
      I know that he was master of the TAURUS of Aberdeen from the time it
      was built (1841) up until 1844. He sailed to many places in the TAURUS
      including taking immigrants over to Quebec. The last entry for the
      TAURUS in the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping stated "John Tindal
      appointed master Feb.17th.1844". So John Martin left the TAURUS then
      but I've no idea which vessel he transferred to. I don't even know if
      his new vessel sailed out of Aberdeen or somewhere else.
      (By the way, the ALEXANDER MARTIN mentioned on the gravestone (John
      Martin's son) also died at sea on November 1881 on board
      the "Elizabeth")
      2) This ALEXANDER WATT could possibly be John Martin's father-in-law.
      The dates seem about right.

      If I do manage to make any progress on this I'll let you know.

      Best Regards..................Alex Ritchie