Martins

  • ugiepark1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2007
      For Norma Manson :

      As I said previously, the "original" John Martin came from Newburgh
      (Aberdeenshire) and married Jean Buchan, daughter of George Buchan &
      Elizabeth Innes. Interestingly, this Elizabeth Innes also came from
      Newburgh. Of further interest, George Buchan & Elizabeth Innes sn,
      George Buchan married Jean Martin, John Martin's sister. So there was
      obviously close connections between the families.
      John Martin was a shipmaster and when he moved to Peterhead he owned
      and sailed a coasting vessel actually named MARTIN.
      John Martin & Jean Buchan had the following offspring :
      John Martin (b.1808) married Margaret Watt. He was also a shipmaster
      and died in the West Indies in 1844.
      Elizabeth Martin (b.1809) married Andrew Simpson
      George Gordon Martin (b.1814)
      May Fraser Martin (b.1817) She died in 1834
      Jean Martin (b.1819) She married George Heriot, sailed to Australia
      in 1864 but sadly died only weeks after arriving.(Their son, Andrew
      Simpson Heriot was at one time the mayor of Williamstown, Australia).
      Alexander Martin (b.1819) He died in 1820
      Thomas Matthew Martin (b.1823). I never found out any more about him.

      I don't believe that those Martins had any Episcopalian connections.

      Best Regards................Alex Ritchie