Re: [Peterhead] MARTINS

  • Norma Manson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2007
      Hi Alex,
      Thank you for your information. I have Catherine Martin's death certificate and knew George was not buried with her. Now I know why. I had been unable to find earlier information about his father John and wondered if he had come to Peterhead from elsewhere. Thank you for confirming that.
      I live in Central Otago, New Zealand in a very small community, population about 50.
      I find it quite amazing that there are so many people researching their Peterhead families and sharing their knowledge.

      Norma Manson

      ugiepark1 <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:
      For : Norma Manson

      Hi Norma, good to hear from you. My mother's grandmother was a Martin
      from the Roanheads, Peterhead and I have quite a bit of information
      on the Martin family. To answer some of your questions :

      George Gordon Martin (b.1814) was the son of John Martin (Shipmaster)
      & Jean Buchan. This John Martin came originally from Newburgh
      (Foveran Parish)and married Jean Buchan daughter of George Buchan,
      Peterhead harbour Pilot.
      George Gordon Martin married Catherine Hutchison in 1834. She was the
      daughter of William Hutchison (Seaman) & Sarah Robertson. She died in
      1861 aged 46. George Martin then married Ann Robertson, daughter of
      James Robertson (Seaman) & Margaret Sellar in 1866. Ann Roberson was
      the widow of John Robertson (Seaman). She died in 1884.George's
      second marriage had no issue.

      George Gordon Martin died in 1867. He was the Mate on the Dundee
      whaler CAMPERDOWN and fell into the harbour as the ship was leaving
      port. He was rescued and it seemed he was O.K. but by the time the
      vessel reached Lerwick (on it's way to the whaling grounds) he had
      died. He is buried in Lerwick but I have never been able to locate a
      Death Certificate for him.

      Hope this is of interest. Where are you located geographically ?

      All the Best....................Alex Ritchie

    • ugiepark1
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007
        For Norma Manson :

        Hello Again Norma, just a comment on the information which Catherine
        kindly posted for you :
        The Robert Martin listed in some of Catherine's baptism notes was not
        directly connected to "your" Martins. Robert Martin was the son of a
        John Martin who farmed at Broadmuir Farm near Cruden Bay. He married
        firstly Margaret Christie and secondly Margaret Brands.
        He became one of Peterhead's most successful Whaling Captains and his
        son, Robert, also followed in his footsteps (whaling Captain).
        Robert Martin was a Methodist by religion.

        Regards..........Alex Ritchie.
      • ugiepark1
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2007
          For Norma Manson :

          Hello Again Norma, yes, John Martin (born 1835) died young and was
          buried in Peterhead in 1837.
          Other offspring of George Martin/Catherine Hutchison were :
          William H.Martin (b.1838)
          Jane Martin (b.1841)
          Helen Marion Martin (b.1846) married George Lyon in 1866
          George Brown Martin (b.1852)
          Sarah Ann Hutchison Martin (b.1854) arried William Taylor in Glasgow
          1873.

          Hope this is of interest..........Alex Ritchie

          p.s. interesting story about the Napoleonic era. That would be around
          1800. Possibly a Hutchison rather than a Martin ?
        • Richard Lyon
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
            I spotted the name George Lyon marrying Helen Marion Martin on this
            thread.

            Do you happen to have on record who were George Lyon's parents?

            Many thanks

            Richard

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ugiepark1" <alex-jean.ritchie@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
              Hi Richard,
              According to Marion Martin/George Lyon marriage certificate, George
              Lyon's parents were James Lyon (Seaman) & Margaret Ritchie. The
              marriage certificate entry is 168/1 (285). They were married in
              Aberdeen although both resided in Peterhead at the time.

              Alex Ritchie

            • rlyon@beeb.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
                Thanks Alex,

                This, as far as I can see, is not a family related to my own,
                but it is geographically close so there may be a more distant
                relationship from the 1700's. I have my 2G grandfather born c
                1826, but nothing on my 3G grandfather except the name James
                Lyon. His wife Barbara Legg(e) remarries in 1828 to George
                Finnie,in Pitsligo, and on her death cert. of the 1870's it
                says previously widow of James Lyon, but other than that
                information have not been able to pin James down.

                Richard