Re: [Peterhead] John Fife Campbell.

  • FRANK NEEDHAM
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2007
      Hi Mary, thanks for trying to help,at the moment I am having trouble with the 1891 Scottish census. It says at the time of the census my gradfather was 7 years old and his father (also John) was 47, but had both their estimated birth years as about 1884. Will keep trying, cheers, Marilyn.PS. I think you may be right, they were both born in Peterhead and at some time the family moved to Dunfermline.

      Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote: Hi Marilyn,
      I think the various documents you are referring to must be
      inconsistent in some way. Inverkeithing is nowhere near Peterhead,
      but it IS near Dunfermline. Going north from Edinburgh, Inverkeithing
      is just off the main A90 road, shortly after you cross the Forth
      bridge. If your grandfather was born in Peterhead, it looks as if the
      family may have moved south later.

      To find out more, you should go to the Scotland's people website
      (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/), and search the registers of
      births, marriages and deaths. A quick search of the births register
      shows there was one John Campbell born in Peterhead in 1884, so
      that's probably your grandfather. To get more details and a copy of
      the actual register entry, you would need to buy credits from
      Scotland's people, but it's not expensive. Good luck with your search!

      Mary

      On 15/09/2007, at 6:31 AM, FRANK NEEDHAM wrote:

      > Hi, I've just joined the Peterhead group,because I'm trying to find
      > out a bit more about my Grandfather. All the info we have on him is
      > from his Australian army papers, and recently the Scottish
      > census.He was born about 1884, at the time of the Scottish 1891
      > Census he was 7 yrs old, his Father was also John, his Mother was
      > Isabella, he had 2 sisters Crissie and Mary, and 2 brothers Joseph
      > and William. He was born in Peterhead, Reg.No.432, Reg. district
      > Inverkeithing, Civil Parish Dunfermline . His address was F B Hut ?
      > I am hoping someone out there knows a bit more about him, perhaps
      > even a relative. Cheers, Marilyn.

    • Cci
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2007
        Hi Marilyn,
        You might already have this,

        1901 parish Inverkeithing, Fife
        address The Huts
        John Campbell, head, mar, 51, occ Rigger, brn Nairn Nairn
        Isabella Campbell, wife, mar, 54, brn Kinmundy Aberdeenshire
        John Campbell, son, 15, Rope Runner, brn Peterhead
        Mary Campbell, dau, 15, brn Peterhead
        Churssie? Campbell, dau, 12, brn Petehread
        Annie Campbell, dau, 10, brn Leith Midlothian

        Catherine