Re: For Carolyn RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13 3:38 PM
      Hi Roy,

      Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
      one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
      as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
      was looking for.

      When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
      graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
      graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

      Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
      killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
      mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
      site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
      know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
      unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
      reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

      Once again, many thanks for your help.

      Carolyn

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13 4:27 PM
        So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
        perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
        couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
        idea where it's at.

        I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
        high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
        to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
        plate could probably do with a professional clean.

        Feel free to link to the page.

        I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
        moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
        very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
        for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
        care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
        can vaguely remember it when I was young.

        Regards,

        Roy

        <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
        Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>