RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Henderson, Roy
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
      Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
      appreciated.

      I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
      1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

      The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
      start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
      concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
      I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

      The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
      front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
      need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

      Regards,

      Roy

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hi Roy,

        Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
        one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
        as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
        was looking for.

        When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
        graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
        graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

        Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
        killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
        mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
        site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
        know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
        unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
        reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

        Once again, many thanks for your help.

        Carolyn

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
          So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
          perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
          couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
          idea where it's at.

          I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
          high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
          to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
          plate could probably do with a professional clean.

          Feel free to link to the page.

          I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
          moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
          very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
          for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
          care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
          can vaguely remember it when I was young.

          Regards,

          Roy

          <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
          Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>