RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Henderson, Roy
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
      Thank you William ... once I get Peterhead completed then I will do the
      memorial at Boddam. After that I will put Longside on the list!

      Regards,

      Roy

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
        Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
        appreciated.

        I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
        1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

        The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
        start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
        concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
        I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

        The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
        front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
        need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

        Regards,

        Roy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
          Hi Roy,

          Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
          one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
          as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
          was looking for.

          When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
          graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
          graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

          Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
          killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
          mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
          site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
          know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
          unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
          reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

          Once again, many thanks for your help.

          Carolyn

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
            So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
            perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
            couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
            idea where it's at.

            I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
            high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
            to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
            plate could probably do with a professional clean.

            Feel free to link to the page.

            I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
            moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
            very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
            for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
            care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
            can vaguely remember it when I was young.

            Regards,

            Roy

            <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
            Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
            To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>