For Carolyn RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Henderson, Roy
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi Carolyn,

      Well, I don't know if this will help or make the puzzle worse!

      I checked your WG Baird on the CWGC and found what I think is his
      record. It gives a grave reference of B405.

      I checked in the Constitution Street Cemetery in the close region of
      B405 and I found a BAIRD family headstone which mentions a George KIA
      1918.

      However, the mother and father on the headstone do not match the parents
      of your WG from the CWCG database.

      I have uploaded 3 rough images from a phone camera taken today. These
      will NOT be part of my permanent record - but I might replace them at a
      future point with better quality images. Thus, you should probably
      download them to your local PC so you have copies of them.

      The links are:

      http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0021.jpg

      http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0022.jpg

      http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0023.jpg

      I don't know if you can shed any further light...

      Incidentally, I did find a couple of WW1 war graves in Constitution
      Street which are probably some of "your loons" ... I'll upload in due
      course.

      Regards,

      Roy

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
        Thank you William ... once I get Peterhead completed then I will do the
        memorial at Boddam. After that I will put Longside on the list!

        Regards,

        Roy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
          Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
          appreciated.

          I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
          1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

          The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
          start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
          concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
          I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

          The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
          front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
          need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

          Regards,

          Roy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
            Hi Roy,

            Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
            one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
            as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
            was looking for.

            When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
            graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
            graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

            Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
            killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
            mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
            site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
            know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
            unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
            reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

            Once again, many thanks for your help.

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
              So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
              perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
              couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
              idea where it's at.

              I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
              high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
              to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
              plate could probably do with a professional clean.

              Feel free to link to the page.

              I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
              moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
              very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
              for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
              care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
              can vaguely remember it when I was young.

              Regards,

              Roy

              <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
              Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
              To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>