RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hello Roy;

      This is a great idea. Don't forget the Longside Cemetery. There are about a
      dozen beautifully kept graves of airmen killed at the base or who landed
      there after runs into France. Some are as young as 17, there are about 7
      Canadians, one Pole and Australians. I took pictures of these in 2003 and
      still have them in my files.

      Regards

      William Leslie, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

      _____

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hi Carolyn,

        Well, I don't know if this will help or make the puzzle worse!

        I checked your WG Baird on the CWGC and found what I think is his
        record. It gives a grave reference of B405.

        I checked in the Constitution Street Cemetery in the close region of
        B405 and I found a BAIRD family headstone which mentions a George KIA
        1918.

        However, the mother and father on the headstone do not match the parents
        of your WG from the CWCG database.

        I have uploaded 3 rough images from a phone camera taken today. These
        will NOT be part of my permanent record - but I might replace them at a
        future point with better quality images. Thus, you should probably
        download them to your local PC so you have copies of them.

        The links are:

        http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0021.jpg

        http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0022.jpg

        http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0023.jpg

        I don't know if you can shed any further light...

        Incidentally, I did find a couple of WW1 war graves in Constitution
        Street which are probably some of "your loons" ... I'll upload in due
        course.

        Regards,

        Roy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
          Thank you William ... once I get Peterhead completed then I will do the
          memorial at Boddam. After that I will put Longside on the list!

          Regards,

          Roy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
            Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
            appreciated.

            I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
            1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

            The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
            start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
            concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
            I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

            The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
            front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
            need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

            Regards,

            Roy

            ________________________________

            <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww2> and I would welcome any feedback
            from members of this list regarding whether or not they feel this is a
            worthwhile exercise.

            Regards,

            Roy

            CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

            The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential,
            and protected from disclosure.
            This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
            If you are not the intended recipient,
            please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
            Also please notify the sender by
            replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The
            sender totally disclaims, and will not
            accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use, or the
            consequences of any unauthorized use,
            of this communication or message.

            CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

            of this communication or message.

          • Carolyn Morrisey
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
              Hi Roy,

              Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
              one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
              as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
              was looking for.

              When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
              graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
              graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

              Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
              killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
              mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
              site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
              know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
              unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
              reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

              Once again, many thanks for your help.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
                perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
                couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
                idea where it's at.

                I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
                high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
                to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
                plate could probably do with a professional clean.

                Feel free to link to the page.

                I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
                moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
                very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
                for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
                care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
                can vaguely remember it when I was young.

                Regards,

                Roy

                <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
                Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
                To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>