Re: RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi Roy,

      Thanks for the latest photo. I found it particularly interesting as it
      contained the names of a couple of "my" loons(5th Bn Gordons)- James
      Robson and Gordon Smith Napier, who was the Battalion's first casualty -
      dying as a result of a chill while on guard duty in Sept 1914, age 21.
      Napier had a very impressive funeral, and I'm surprised be hasn't got a
      headstone.

      Do you happen to know the names on the graves in front of that memorial?
      I was in Peterhead a number of years ago and was looking for the grave
      of one of my WWI soldier relatives who, according to CWGC, is buried in
      Peterhead cemetery. However I couldn't find a grave and can't remember
      if I checked those shown in your photo. (I was looking for Sgt William
      G. Baird who died 30/10/1918.) Actually, I don't recall that memorial.
      Can you describe where it is in the cemetery - from the wall I guess it
      is on the left hand side but I can't picture exactly where. I suppose I
      must have seen it, but it didn't register.

      See how worthwhile your work is to other people!

      Carolyn

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hi Carolyn,

        Delighted to hear that already the images have provided some information
        - that's fantastic!

        I've uploaded the three war graves in front of the memorial. They are
        all WW2 but one of them does look of interest to anyone with NZ links.

        I'll take a look at the CWGC to see if I can identify the grave you
        mention.

        The "Unmarked" memorial is over beside the left wall of the Kirkyard as
        you face it from the South Road. I have a general picture which will
        place it for you but haven't uploaded it yet.

        To reach the war grave images, please take this link for the moment -
        http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/wargraves/pwg_0000.html

        Regards,

        Roy

        ________________________________

        <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
        Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:30 pm
        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>

        > Thank you Carolyn, Marion and Richard for your comments.
        >

        > I have now uploaded another memorial which identifies the unmarked
        > graves in St Peter's Kirkyard of those who fell in WW1 and are buried
        > there but may not have individual headstones.
        >

        > As with the first section, I will apologise for the format and the
        > styleof presentation - I will look at refining that once I have
        > collected and
        > completed the initial upload. At this stage my intention is more
        > just to
        > try and deliver some material which may be of use.
        >

        > The new section can be reached at http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1
        <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1>

        > Once I complete the structure, I will post an overall index page which
        > will handle all the navigation through the sections and which will not
        > change.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Roy
        >

        > CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION
        >
        > The information contained in this message is privileged,
        > confidential, and protected from disclosure.
        > This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed
        > herein. If you are not the intended recipient,
        > please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
        > others. Also please notify the sender by
        > replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The
        > sender totally disclaims, and will not
        > accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
        > or the consequences of any unauthorized use,
        > of this communication or message.

        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        of this communication or message.

      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
          Hello Roy;

          This is a great idea. Don't forget the Longside Cemetery. There are about a
          dozen beautifully kept graves of airmen killed at the base or who landed
          there after runs into France. Some are as young as 17, there are about 7
          Canadians, one Pole and Australians. I took pictures of these in 2003 and
          still have them in my files.

          Regards

          William Leslie, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

          _____

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
            Hi Carolyn,

            Well, I don't know if this will help or make the puzzle worse!

            I checked your WG Baird on the CWGC and found what I think is his
            record. It gives a grave reference of B405.

            I checked in the Constitution Street Cemetery in the close region of
            B405 and I found a BAIRD family headstone which mentions a George KIA
            1918.

            However, the mother and father on the headstone do not match the parents
            of your WG from the CWCG database.

            I have uploaded 3 rough images from a phone camera taken today. These
            will NOT be part of my permanent record - but I might replace them at a
            future point with better quality images. Thus, you should probably
            download them to your local PC so you have copies of them.

            The links are:

            http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0021.jpg

            http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0022.jpg

            http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0023.jpg

            I don't know if you can shed any further light...

            Incidentally, I did find a couple of WW1 war graves in Constitution
            Street which are probably some of "your loons" ... I'll upload in due
            course.

            Regards,

            Roy

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
              Thank you William ... once I get Peterhead completed then I will do the
              memorial at Boddam. After that I will put Longside on the list!

              Regards,

              Roy

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
                appreciated.

                I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
                1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

                The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
                start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
                concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
                I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

                The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
                front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
                need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

                Regards,

                Roy

                ________________________________

                <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww2> and I would welcome any feedback

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Hi Roy,

                  Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
                  one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
                  as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
                  was looking for.

                  When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
                  graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
                  graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

                  Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
                  killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
                  mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
                  site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
                  know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
                  unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
                  reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

                  Once again, many thanks for your help.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                    So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
                    perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
                    couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
                    idea where it's at.

                    I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
                    high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
                    to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
                    plate could probably do with a professional clean.

                    Feel free to link to the page.

                    I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
                    moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
                    very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
                    for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
                    care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
                    can vaguely remember it when I was young.

                    Regards,

                    Roy

                    Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
                    To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>