Re: RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi Roy,

      Like Marion, I also fully understood and appreciated your intentions.
      This type of research has two results - it is of enormous help and
      interest to others researching their families and has what may be seen
      as a "higher purpose" in commemorating the fallen soldiers. I'd also add
      that for people such as myself in Australia, and I suspect, Marion in
      NZ, such photos are of enormous interest.

      I look forward to seeing the other memorials you mention.

      Carolyn

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
        Thank you Carolyn, Marion and Richard for your comments.

        I have now uploaded another memorial which identifies the unmarked
        graves in St Peter's Kirkyard of those who fell in WW1 and are buried
        there but may not have individual headstones.

        As with the first section, I will apologise for the format and the style
        of presentation - I will look at refining that once I have collected and
        completed the initial upload. At this stage my intention is more just to
        try and deliver some material which may be of use.

        The new section can be reached at http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1

        Once I complete the structure, I will post an overall index page which
        will handle all the navigation through the sections and which will not
        change.

      • Kenmalley4@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
          Well done Roy I think it's a good idea for the many ex-pats etc that are
          unable to come and see it for themselves.
          regards Kenny

        • Carolyn Morrisey
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
            Hi Roy,

            Thanks for the latest photo. I found it particularly interesting as it
            contained the names of a couple of "my" loons(5th Bn Gordons)- James
            Robson and Gordon Smith Napier, who was the Battalion's first casualty -
            dying as a result of a chill while on guard duty in Sept 1914, age 21.
            Napier had a very impressive funeral, and I'm surprised be hasn't got a
            headstone.

            Do you happen to know the names on the graves in front of that memorial?
            I was in Peterhead a number of years ago and was looking for the grave
            of one of my WWI soldier relatives who, according to CWGC, is buried in
            Peterhead cemetery. However I couldn't find a grave and can't remember
            if I checked those shown in your photo. (I was looking for Sgt William
            G. Baird who died 30/10/1918.) Actually, I don't recall that memorial.
            Can you describe where it is in the cemetery - from the wall I guess it
            is on the left hand side but I can't picture exactly where. I suppose I
            must have seen it, but it didn't register.

            See how worthwhile your work is to other people!

            Carolyn

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
              Hi Carolyn,

              Delighted to hear that already the images have provided some information
              - that's fantastic!

              I've uploaded the three war graves in front of the memorial. They are
              all WW2 but one of them does look of interest to anyone with NZ links.

              I'll take a look at the CWGC to see if I can identify the grave you
              mention.

              The "Unmarked" memorial is over beside the left wall of the Kirkyard as
              you face it from the South Road. I have a general picture which will
              place it for you but haven't uploaded it yet.

              To reach the war grave images, please take this link for the moment -
              http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/wargraves/pwg_0000.html

              Regards,

              Roy

              ________________________________

              <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
              Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:30 pm
              To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>

              > Thank you Carolyn, Marion and Richard for your comments.
              >

              > I have now uploaded another memorial which identifies the unmarked
              > graves in St Peter's Kirkyard of those who fell in WW1 and are buried
              > there but may not have individual headstones.
              >

              > As with the first section, I will apologise for the format and the
              > styleof presentation - I will look at refining that once I have
              > collected and
              > completed the initial upload. At this stage my intention is more
              > just to
              > try and deliver some material which may be of use.
              >

              > The new section can be reached at http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1
              <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1>

              > Once I complete the structure, I will post an overall index page which
              > will handle all the navigation through the sections and which will not
              > change.
              >

              > Regards,
              >

              > Roy
              >

              > CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION
              >
              > The information contained in this message is privileged,
              > confidential, and protected from disclosure.
              > This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed
              > herein. If you are not the intended recipient,
              > please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
              > others. Also please notify the sender by
              > replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The
              > sender totally disclaims, and will not
              > accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
              > or the consequences of any unauthorized use,
              > of this communication or message.

              CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

              of this communication or message.

            • William Leslie
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                Hello Roy;

                This is a great idea. Don't forget the Longside Cemetery. There are about a
                dozen beautifully kept graves of airmen killed at the base or who landed
                there after runs into France. Some are as young as 17, there are about 7
                Canadians, one Pole and Australians. I took pictures of these in 2003 and
                still have them in my files.

                Regards

                William Leslie, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

                _____

                I think this is a wonderful idea. The War Dead deserve every Memorial
                possible in return for their giving up the chance to have the memorials of
                children etc in a normal full life.

                Marion

                http://www.peterhea <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww2> d.info/fhr/wm/ww2

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Hi Carolyn,

                  Well, I don't know if this will help or make the puzzle worse!

                  I checked your WG Baird on the CWGC and found what I think is his
                  record. It gives a grave reference of B405.

                  I checked in the Constitution Street Cemetery in the close region of
                  B405 and I found a BAIRD family headstone which mentions a George KIA
                  1918.

                  However, the mother and father on the headstone do not match the parents
                  of your WG from the CWCG database.

                  I have uploaded 3 rough images from a phone camera taken today. These
                  will NOT be part of my permanent record - but I might replace them at a
                  future point with better quality images. Thus, you should probably
                  download them to your local PC so you have copies of them.

                  The links are:

                  http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0021.jpg

                  http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0022.jpg

                  http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0023.jpg

                  I don't know if you can shed any further light...

                  Incidentally, I did find a couple of WW1 war graves in Constitution
                  Street which are probably some of "your loons" ... I'll upload in due
                  course.

                  Regards,

                  Roy

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                    Thank you William ... once I get Peterhead completed then I will do the
                    memorial at Boddam. After that I will put Longside on the list!

                    Regards,

                    Roy

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
                      appreciated.

                      I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
                      1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

                      The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
                      start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
                      concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
                      I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

                      The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
                      front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
                      need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

                      Regards,

                      Roy

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                        Hi Roy,

                        Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
                        one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
                        as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
                        was looking for.

                        When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
                        graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
                        graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

                        Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
                        killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
                        mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
                        site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
                        know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
                        unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
                        reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

                        Once again, many thanks for your help.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                          So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
                          perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
                          couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
                          idea where it's at.

                          I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
                          high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
                          to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
                          plate could probably do with a professional clean.

                          Feel free to link to the page.

                          I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
                          moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
                          very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
                          for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
                          care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
                          can vaguely remember it when I was young.

                          Regards,

                          Roy

                          Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
                          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>