Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead War Memorials

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 12, 2007
      Hi Roy,

      I found your photos very interesting. I have a special interest in the
      war memorials of Peterhead and district as I'm researching the 5th
      Battalion Gordon Highlanders in WWI. I have a website about this unit
      (also for information rather than appearance I'm affraid) and include a
      page showing the names of the men on the WWI memorial (still a work in
      progress) and also the 5th Bn memorial. Sad to see so many of the family
      names repeated on both memorials. I am of the opinion that any effort
      to commemorate and record the details of the men and women from these
      conflicts is far more than just a "worthwhile exercise".
      Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing the photos.

      Carolyn
      http://www.gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/

      Henderson, Roy wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am currently working through a small project to photograph the War
      > Memorials in Peterhead and make these available on the Internet.
      >
      > The primary objective is to provide general orientation of the memorials
      > and images of the inscriptions to assist researchers in tracing
      > relatives.
      >
      > Initially, I am concentrating more on providing the information rather
      > than producing high quality photographs on beautiful web pages. When I
      > have time, I will probably repeat the project to refine and improve its
      > visual appearance.
      >
      > The first memorial is now available at
      > http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww2
      > <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww2> and I would welcome any feedback
      > from members of this list regarding whether or not they feel this is a
      > worthwhile exercise.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Roy
      >
      > CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION
      >
      > The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential,
      > and protected from disclosure.
      > This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed
      > herein. If you are not the intended recipient,
      > please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
      > others. Also please notify the sender by
      > replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The
      > sender totally disclaims, and will not
      > accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use, or
      > the consequences of any unauthorized use,
      > of this communication or message.

      Carolyn Morrisey
      Acting Team Leader
      Readings and Reserve
      Matheson Library
      Monash University 3800

      Telephone:61 3 990 52734
      Email: carolyn.morrisey@...
    • M La Rooij
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 12, 2007
        Hi Roy,

        I think this is a wonderful idea. The War Dead deserve every Memorial possible in return for their giving up the chance to have the memorials of children etc in a normal full life.

        Marion

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 12, 2007
          Thank you both Carolyn and Marion for your feedback - most appreciated.

          I think I have to say that I phrased my question rather badly - but it
          was very late when I composed my message!

          When I asked if what I was doing was "a worthwhile exercise" what I
          really meant to say was more was what I was doing likely to be useful to
          others.

          I fully agree that we should perpetuate the memory of all who gave their
          lives for us. Like many others I am sure, I lost quite a number of
          relatives in both WW1 and WW2.

          Anyway, the responses from Carolyn and Marion are sufficient to let me
          know that this little project will be useful.

          As soon as I can I will complete and upload the other memorials and then
          I will post another message to this list.

          Regards,

          Roy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
            No worries Roy, I did understand the useful intention behind your work but meant to convey that it is nice that the other is kept in mind. It has been heartwarming to see the increasing number grandchildren turning out on ANZAC Day to honour their relatives. For a time it seemed as if they were forgotten as the attendance numbers dropped. I think genealogists are especially aware of the losses as we look at charts to our families with rows of dead across those time spans.
            Marion

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
              This is a very good idea and I give it all my encouragement.

              This year (2007) has resulted in contact being made from a
              group of french aviation enthusiasts into a Spitfire crash in
              which my (half) uncle (Ernest Russell Lyon) died in WW2, on
              27th July 1944, aged just 21. He has no known grave (perhaps
              until now) and his name is on the Colinton War Memorial in
              Edinburgh. This is all as a result of the french searching for
              living kin of Russell's on the internet. I had posted an
              online memorial to him on the www.talkingscot.com website just
              before remembrance day last year. See under success stories in
              the forum on the talking scot website for some of the fuller
              story.

              So since the spring I have been in contact with the french
              researchers, and now more recently the 234 squadron
              association to whose 90th Anniversary Reunion I have been
              invited next weekend. At this I will be meeting two or three
              pilots who trained and flew with my uncle in 234 squadron in
              the 1942-44 era, and am eagerly awaiting to hear what stories
              they will tell of my uncle.

              My connection to this Peterhead site is that many of my
              ancestors came from the Aberdeenshire/Buchan area and some
              from Inverugie/St.Fergus in the 1800's -surnames
              Lyon,Davidson,Hutcheon,Kelly, Thom,Chalmers, Duncan, Legg,
              Jack, Walker to name just a few.

              And so you never know what might result from such postings and
              likanges of research that might then happen.

              I will be looking to see if any of those missing from my wider
              tree are shown on the memorial images posted, so many thanks
              for these.

              Happy hunting

              Richard L.
            • Carolyn Morrisey
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                Hi Roy,

                Like Marion, I also fully understood and appreciated your intentions.
                This type of research has two results - it is of enormous help and
                interest to others researching their families and has what may be seen
                as a "higher purpose" in commemorating the fallen soldiers. I'd also add
                that for people such as myself in Australia, and I suspect, Marion in
                NZ, such photos are of enormous interest.

                I look forward to seeing the other memorials you mention.

                Carolyn

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Thank you Carolyn, Marion and Richard for your comments.

                  I have now uploaded another memorial which identifies the unmarked
                  graves in St Peter's Kirkyard of those who fell in WW1 and are buried
                  there but may not have individual headstones.

                  As with the first section, I will apologise for the format and the style
                  of presentation - I will look at refining that once I have collected and
                  completed the initial upload. At this stage my intention is more just to
                  try and deliver some material which may be of use.

                  The new section can be reached at http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1

                  Once I complete the structure, I will post an overall index page which
                  will handle all the navigation through the sections and which will not
                  change.

                • Kenmalley4@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                    Well done Roy I think it's a good idea for the many ex-pats etc that are
                    unable to come and see it for themselves.
                    regards Kenny

                  • Carolyn Morrisey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Hi Roy,

                      Thanks for the latest photo. I found it particularly interesting as it
                      contained the names of a couple of "my" loons(5th Bn Gordons)- James
                      Robson and Gordon Smith Napier, who was the Battalion's first casualty -
                      dying as a result of a chill while on guard duty in Sept 1914, age 21.
                      Napier had a very impressive funeral, and I'm surprised be hasn't got a
                      headstone.

                      Do you happen to know the names on the graves in front of that memorial?
                      I was in Peterhead a number of years ago and was looking for the grave
                      of one of my WWI soldier relatives who, according to CWGC, is buried in
                      Peterhead cemetery. However I couldn't find a grave and can't remember
                      if I checked those shown in your photo. (I was looking for Sgt William
                      G. Baird who died 30/10/1918.) Actually, I don't recall that memorial.
                      Can you describe where it is in the cemetery - from the wall I guess it
                      is on the left hand side but I can't picture exactly where. I suppose I
                      must have seen it, but it didn't register.

                      See how worthwhile your work is to other people!

                      Carolyn

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                        Hi Carolyn,

                        Delighted to hear that already the images have provided some information
                        - that's fantastic!

                        I've uploaded the three war graves in front of the memorial. They are
                        all WW2 but one of them does look of interest to anyone with NZ links.

                        I'll take a look at the CWGC to see if I can identify the grave you
                        mention.

                        The "Unmarked" memorial is over beside the left wall of the Kirkyard as
                        you face it from the South Road. I have a general picture which will
                        place it for you but haven't uploaded it yet.

                        To reach the war grave images, please take this link for the moment -
                        http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/wargraves/pwg_0000.html

                        Regards,

                        Roy

                        ________________________________

                        <mailto:roy.henderson%40eu.weatherford.com> >
                        Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:30 pm
                        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > Thank you Carolyn, Marion and Richard for your comments.
                        >

                        > I have now uploaded another memorial which identifies the unmarked
                        > graves in St Peter's Kirkyard of those who fell in WW1 and are buried
                        > there but may not have individual headstones.
                        >

                        > As with the first section, I will apologise for the format and the
                        > styleof presentation - I will look at refining that once I have
                        > collected and
                        > completed the initial upload. At this stage my intention is more
                        > just to
                        > try and deliver some material which may be of use.
                        >

                        > The new section can be reached at http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1
                        <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww1>

                        > Once I complete the structure, I will post an overall index page which
                        > will handle all the navigation through the sections and which will not
                        > change.
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        >

                        > Roy
                        >

                        > CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION
                        >
                        > The information contained in this message is privileged,
                        > confidential, and protected from disclosure.
                        > This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed
                        > herein. If you are not the intended recipient,
                        > please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
                        > others. Also please notify the sender by
                        > replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The
                        > sender totally disclaims, and will not
                        > accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
                        > or the consequences of any unauthorized use,
                        > of this communication or message.

                        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                        of this communication or message.

                      • William Leslie
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                          Hello Roy;

                          This is a great idea. Don't forget the Longside Cemetery. There are about a
                          dozen beautifully kept graves of airmen killed at the base or who landed
                          there after runs into France. Some are as young as 17, there are about 7
                          Canadians, one Pole and Australians. I took pictures of these in 2003 and
                          still have them in my files.

                          Regards

                          William Leslie, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

                          _____

                          http://www.peterhea <http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm/ww2> d.info/fhr/wm/ww2

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                            Hi Carolyn,

                            Well, I don't know if this will help or make the puzzle worse!

                            I checked your WG Baird on the CWGC and found what I think is his
                            record. It gives a grave reference of B405.

                            I checked in the Constitution Street Cemetery in the close region of
                            B405 and I found a BAIRD family headstone which mentions a George KIA
                            1918.

                            However, the mother and father on the headstone do not match the parents
                            of your WG from the CWCG database.

                            I have uploaded 3 rough images from a phone camera taken today. These
                            will NOT be part of my permanent record - but I might replace them at a
                            future point with better quality images. Thus, you should probably
                            download them to your local PC so you have copies of them.

                            The links are:

                            http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0021.jpg

                            http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0022.jpg

                            http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/mailbox/Photo-0023.jpg

                            I don't know if you can shed any further light...

                            Incidentally, I did find a couple of WW1 war graves in Constitution
                            Street which are probably some of "your loons" ... I'll upload in due
                            course.

                            Regards,

                            Roy

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                              Thank you William ... once I get Peterhead completed then I will do the
                              memorial at Boddam. After that I will put Longside on the list!

                              Regards,

                              Roy

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                                Thanks to all who have given feedback on this little project - most
                                appreciated.

                                I have now added the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders Roll of Honour
                                1914-1918 Memorial located in Kirk Street.

                                The link to follow is http://www.peterhead.info/fhr/wm - I have made a
                                start to trying to improve the look of the pages but still will more
                                concentrate on the content rather than the presentation for the moment.
                                I will also improve the navigation once I know all the page structures.

                                The next one I will add will be the main 1914-1918 memorial located in
                                front of St Peter's Kirkyard - I have taken the photographs and just
                                need to process them and then upload them and build the pages.

                                Regards,

                                Roy

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                                  Hi Roy,

                                  Many, many thanks for the photos of the Baird grave. I didn't have that
                                  one. They are relatives and the John and George who are mentioned on it
                                  as dying during the war are cousins of the William George whose grave I
                                  was looking for.

                                  When I saw that your pictures of the CWGC graves I asked about were WWII
                                  graves, I realised I HAD seen them. I thought they were going to be WWI
                                  graves because of their proximity to the memorial.

                                  Your picture of the 5th Battalion memorial is terrific! I was almost
                                  killed by traffic trying to get my picture with a very basic camera - so
                                  mine is nowhere near as good. Would you mind if I added a link from my
                                  site to your page? (Full acknowledgements of course.) Do you happen to
                                  know when that memorial was built? I have the Buchanie account of the
                                  unveiling of the main memorial at the cemetery, but couldn't find
                                  reference to this one. I believe it was on the site of the old drill hall.

                                  Once again, many thanks for your help.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 13, 2007
                                    So, could your WG actually be buried in that grave but without mention
                                    perhaps Carolyn? Now that I know it's of interest to you I'll take a
                                    couple of general pictures of the location it's sited so you can have an
                                    idea where it's at.

                                    I must confess I was quite pleased when I saw the quality of the
                                    high-res image of the Roll of Honour inscription! It's actually easier
                                    to read the inscription off the picture than it is off the memorial. The
                                    plate could probably do with a professional clean.

                                    Feel free to link to the page.

                                    I don't have any information regarding the memorial construction at the
                                    moment, but I can probably uncover some in due course. Kirk Street is
                                    very busy at times because the roundabout at its head is the junction
                                    for the South Road, the West Road and King Street so you do need to take
                                    care. The Old Drill Hall used to stand on the site of the roundabout. I
                                    can vaguely remember it when I was young.

                                    Regards,

                                    Roy

                                    Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 0:47 am
                                    To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>