Re: Church records pre 1855

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2007
      On 23/08/2007, at 5:07 AM, ugiepark1 wrote:
      > Hi Carol,
      > I saw the Peterhead Episcopal Records at the Aberdeen & N.E. F.H.S. on
      > King Street, Aberdeen. Someone had transcribed them and they were
      > there
      > on "hard copy", but they only covered 1820 - 1850 if I remember
      > correctly.
      > I copied some of them, as I was interested in Peterhead Shipmasters.
      >
      > It's quite possible that the original JOHN died and that they used the
      > name subsequently for another child. I have encountered this several
      > times in my researches.
      >
      > Best Regards...............Alex Ritchie
      While we are discussing church records, does anybody know anything
      about records of the Methodist Church in Peterhead? Many of my
      Peterhead ancestors were Methodists, and I am wondering if this is
      why I have quite often been unable to find records of pre-1855 births
      and marriages in the OPR database at ScotlandsPeople. Would the
      Methodist church records be preserved anywhere? Have they been
      transcribed?

      Mary
    • Anne M Allan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2007
        Hi

        I believe that the Methodist Church records at the National Archives of
        Scotland in Edinburgh. The dates vary greatly from place to place, and
        are closed for 60 years. They contain lists of members and seat
        holdersand are arranged alphabetically by place.

        Anne