RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead Cemetery

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hello Maureen;

      The two cemeteries in Peterhead are the old one, St Peter's where the
      ancient St Peter's church was, and the newer Constitution Street Cemetery
      which is used today.

      Regards

      William Leslie

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
        Hi Elizabeth,

        I was interested to note that you are researching Murrisons of
        Peterhead. I wonder if your Murrisons are connected to mine.

        My g-g-grandfather George Murrison, a weaver, was born in Fraserburgh
        about 1787. He married Margaret McCombie, born in Fraserburgh about
        1786. They were married in Peterhead on 12/11/1820 and seem to have
        lived in Peterhead from then on. Their children Susan (b abt 1824)
        and George (b abt 1829) were both born in Peterhead. At the 1841 and
        1851 censuses they were at Ellis Street in Peterhead. Margaret died
        at 10 Ellis Street in 1859 and George died at 75 Kirk Street in 1863.
        Susan worked as a domestic servant until she married Andrew Clarke
        Chalmers, a shoemaker, in 1860. On her marriage certificate, Susan's
        surname is given as Murison, but in the same document her parents'
        names are recorded as Murrison. Even if your Murrisons are not
        related to mine, it may be worth your while researching alternative
        spellings of the name.

        Mary
      • Henderson, Roy
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
          Hello Maureen,

          There are actually four cemeteries in Peterhead:

          1) The "Old Kirkyard" or St Peters Kirkyard. This is the oldest
          and certainly has graves back in the 1700s, possibly even the 1600s. It
          is located on the South Road and can be an absolutely beautiful and
          peaceful setting when the sun is shining over the bay. There are still a
          few burials there but only into existing lairs. It was very active in
          the 1800s and early 1900s.

          2) Constitution St is the next in chronological order. It is
          located in the town and is bordered by Station Road and Landale Road. It
          is still quite active but again only into existing lairs.

          3) Balmoor is next and is located where was then the outskirts of
          the town but has long since been absorbed by urban spread. I believe it
          was opened either in the 1950s or early 1960s. It is active but I think
          all available lairs are taken.

          4) Grange is the newest and I think dates from the 1990s. All new
          lairs are in this cemetery. It is located close to Balmoor and next to
          Robert Mackie's funeral hall. It only has its first area in use at the
          moment but there is further land reserved there for, I have heard, 50
          years.

          Regards,

          Roy

          ________________________________

          Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery, am working again
          on my ancestors from this area.

          I am interested in James Robertson,(my 2nd great grandfather) bc
          1816, died bef, 1861, he was a ships carpenter and married Ann Smith
          b Sept 1817 in Portessie.

          Am trying to track down where James and others from Peterhead may
          have been buried.

          James and Ann had 7 children, their daughter Jane b 1849 died 8 march
          1908, was my great grandmother, she married John Lawrence May from
          Inverallochy.

          Also, if anyone has connections to the above would love to hear from
          you.

          Regards

          Maureen. Born in The Broch, now living down under in New Zealand.

          CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

          of this communication or message.

        • moresmall
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
            Hi

            Thanks to all who replied to my posting about the name / names of the
            Peterhead cemetery, I waa very surprised to hear that there was 4
            cemeteries in Peterhead, now all I have to do is find my relatives /
            ancestors.

            Maureen