Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead Cemetery

  • andrea mcharg
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hi Maureen,

      There are two - the old kirk yard next to the bay,
      and a newer one - can't remember the name sorry. I
      think maybe James might be in the old kirkyard. I have
      ancestors who died around this time in there.

      I hope this is of some help.

      Andrea
      --- moresmall <moresmall@...> wrote:

      > Hi Listers
      >
      > Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery,
      > am working again
      > on my ancestors from this area.
      >
      > I am interested in James Robertson,(my 2nd great
      > grandfather) bc
      > 1816, died bef, 1861, he was a ships carpenter and
      > married Ann Smith
      > b Sept 1817 in Portessie.
      >
      > Am trying to track down where James and others from
      > Peterhead may
      > have been buried.
      >
      > James and Ann had 7 children, their daughter Jane b
      > 1849 died 8 march
      > 1908, was my great grandmother, she married John
      > Lawrence May from
      > Inverallochy.
      >
      > Also, if anyone has connections to the above would
      > love to hear from
      > you.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Maureen. Born in The Broch, now living down under
      > in New Zealand.

    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
        At 06:08 AM 23/08/2007, you wrote:

        >Hi Listers
        >
        >Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery, am working again
        >on my ancestors from this area.

        It's sometimes called the old kirk yard, or St Peter's - I think
        there was a St Peter's church originally (=Peterhead).

        I've recently visited Peterhead and went to the registrar's office
        for help with finding graves. She was extremely helpful, especially
        considering we just walked in off the street. For the fee of 10
        pounds she looked up people in indexes, gave me photocopies of the
        layout of the cemetery (ie lairs and numbers), and photocopies of the
        relevant pages from the registers. These are useful as the date of
        burial and address of the deceased is recorded - good for deaths before 1855.

        We had been looking round the cemetery beforehand and realised we
        wouldn't find anything without help, and she also told us where
        different rows were in relation to cemetery features. With this help
        we located several graves and sites, even though some didn't have stones.

        I got the impression she would answer mail queries - this is right
        number and email address I think.

        Peterhead registrar
        Tel no:- 01779 483245
        email:
        <mailto:peterhead.registrar@...>peterhead.registrar@...

        Regards,
        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        Lenah Valley, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Cruden) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
        DAVIDSON (Strichen)

      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
          Hello Maureen;

          The two cemeteries in Peterhead are the old one, St Peter's where the
          ancient St Peter's church was, and the newer Constitution Street Cemetery
          which is used today.

          Regards

          William Leslie

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
            Hi Elizabeth,

            I was interested to note that you are researching Murrisons of
            Peterhead. I wonder if your Murrisons are connected to mine.

            My g-g-grandfather George Murrison, a weaver, was born in Fraserburgh
            about 1787. He married Margaret McCombie, born in Fraserburgh about
            1786. They were married in Peterhead on 12/11/1820 and seem to have
            lived in Peterhead from then on. Their children Susan (b abt 1824)
            and George (b abt 1829) were both born in Peterhead. At the 1841 and
            1851 censuses they were at Ellis Street in Peterhead. Margaret died
            at 10 Ellis Street in 1859 and George died at 75 Kirk Street in 1863.
            Susan worked as a domestic servant until she married Andrew Clarke
            Chalmers, a shoemaker, in 1860. On her marriage certificate, Susan's
            surname is given as Murison, but in the same document her parents'
            names are recorded as Murrison. Even if your Murrisons are not
            related to mine, it may be worth your while researching alternative
            spellings of the name.

            Mary
          • Henderson, Roy
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
              Hello Maureen,

              There are actually four cemeteries in Peterhead:

              1) The "Old Kirkyard" or St Peters Kirkyard. This is the oldest
              and certainly has graves back in the 1700s, possibly even the 1600s. It
              is located on the South Road and can be an absolutely beautiful and
              peaceful setting when the sun is shining over the bay. There are still a
              few burials there but only into existing lairs. It was very active in
              the 1800s and early 1900s.

              2) Constitution St is the next in chronological order. It is
              located in the town and is bordered by Station Road and Landale Road. It
              is still quite active but again only into existing lairs.

              3) Balmoor is next and is located where was then the outskirts of
              the town but has long since been absorbed by urban spread. I believe it
              was opened either in the 1950s or early 1960s. It is active but I think
              all available lairs are taken.

              4) Grange is the newest and I think dates from the 1990s. All new
              lairs are in this cemetery. It is located close to Balmoor and next to
              Robert Mackie's funeral hall. It only has its first area in use at the
              moment but there is further land reserved there for, I have heard, 50
              years.

              Regards,

              Roy

              ________________________________

              Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery, am working again
              on my ancestors from this area.

              I am interested in James Robertson,(my 2nd great grandfather) bc
              1816, died bef, 1861, he was a ships carpenter and married Ann Smith
              b Sept 1817 in Portessie.

              Am trying to track down where James and others from Peterhead may
              have been buried.

              James and Ann had 7 children, their daughter Jane b 1849 died 8 march
              1908, was my great grandmother, she married John Lawrence May from
              Inverallochy.

              Also, if anyone has connections to the above would love to hear from
              you.

              Regards

              Maureen. Born in The Broch, now living down under in New Zealand.

              CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

              of this communication or message.

            • moresmall
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
                Hi

                Thanks to all who replied to my posting about the name / names of the
                Peterhead cemetery, I waa very surprised to hear that there was 4
                cemeteries in Peterhead, now all I have to do is find my relatives /
                ancestors.

                Maureen