Peterhead Cemetery

  • moresmall
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hi Listers

      Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery, am working again
      on my ancestors from this area.

      I am interested in James Robertson,(my 2nd great grandfather) bc
      1816, died bef, 1861, he was a ships carpenter and married Ann Smith
      b Sept 1817 in Portessie.

      Am trying to track down where James and others from Peterhead may
      have been buried.

      James and Ann had 7 children, their daughter Jane b 1849 died 8 march
      1908, was my great grandmother, she married John Lawrence May from
      Inverallochy.

      Also, if anyone has connections to the above would love to hear from
      you.

      Regards

      Maureen. Born in The Broch, now living down under in New Zealand.
    • andrea mcharg
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
        Hi Maureen,

        There are two - the old kirk yard next to the bay,
        and a newer one - can't remember the name sorry. I
        think maybe James might be in the old kirkyard. I have
        ancestors who died around this time in there.

        I hope this is of some help.

        Andrea
        --- moresmall <moresmall@...> wrote:

        > Hi Listers
        >
        > Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery,
        > am working again
        > on my ancestors from this area.
        >
        > I am interested in James Robertson,(my 2nd great
        > grandfather) bc
        > 1816, died bef, 1861, he was a ships carpenter and
        > married Ann Smith
        > b Sept 1817 in Portessie.
        >
        > Am trying to track down where James and others from
        > Peterhead may
        > have been buried.
        >
        > James and Ann had 7 children, their daughter Jane b
        > 1849 died 8 march
        > 1908, was my great grandmother, she married John
        > Lawrence May from
        > Inverallochy.
        >
        > Also, if anyone has connections to the above would
        > love to hear from
        > you.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Maureen. Born in The Broch, now living down under
        > in New Zealand.

      • Elisabeth Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
          At 06:08 AM 23/08/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi Listers
          >
          >Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery, am working again
          >on my ancestors from this area.

          It's sometimes called the old kirk yard, or St Peter's - I think
          there was a St Peter's church originally (=Peterhead).

          I've recently visited Peterhead and went to the registrar's office
          for help with finding graves. She was extremely helpful, especially
          considering we just walked in off the street. For the fee of 10
          pounds she looked up people in indexes, gave me photocopies of the
          layout of the cemetery (ie lairs and numbers), and photocopies of the
          relevant pages from the registers. These are useful as the date of
          burial and address of the deceased is recorded - good for deaths before 1855.

          We had been looking round the cemetery beforehand and realised we
          wouldn't find anything without help, and she also told us where
          different rows were in relation to cemetery features. With this help
          we located several graves and sites, even though some didn't have stones.

          I got the impression she would answer mail queries - this is right
          number and email address I think.

          Peterhead registrar
          Tel no:- 01779 483245
          email:
          <mailto:peterhead.registrar@...>peterhead.registrar@...

          Regards,
          Elisabeth

          Elisabeth Wilson
          Lenah Valley, Tasmania
          SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Cruden) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
          DAVIDSON (Strichen)

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
            Hello Maureen;

            The two cemeteries in Peterhead are the old one, St Peter's where the
            ancient St Peter's church was, and the newer Constitution Street Cemetery
            which is used today.

            Regards

            William Leslie

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
              Hi Elizabeth,

              I was interested to note that you are researching Murrisons of
              Peterhead. I wonder if your Murrisons are connected to mine.

              My g-g-grandfather George Murrison, a weaver, was born in Fraserburgh
              about 1787. He married Margaret McCombie, born in Fraserburgh about
              1786. They were married in Peterhead on 12/11/1820 and seem to have
              lived in Peterhead from then on. Their children Susan (b abt 1824)
              and George (b abt 1829) were both born in Peterhead. At the 1841 and
              1851 censuses they were at Ellis Street in Peterhead. Margaret died
              at 10 Ellis Street in 1859 and George died at 75 Kirk Street in 1863.
              Susan worked as a domestic servant until she married Andrew Clarke
              Chalmers, a shoemaker, in 1860. On her marriage certificate, Susan's
              surname is given as Murison, but in the same document her parents'
              names are recorded as Murrison. Even if your Murrisons are not
              related to mine, it may be worth your while researching alternative
              spellings of the name.

              Mary
            • Henderson, Roy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
                Hello Maureen,

                There are actually four cemeteries in Peterhead:

                1) The "Old Kirkyard" or St Peters Kirkyard. This is the oldest
                and certainly has graves back in the 1700s, possibly even the 1600s. It
                is located on the South Road and can be an absolutely beautiful and
                peaceful setting when the sun is shining over the bay. There are still a
                few burials there but only into existing lairs. It was very active in
                the 1800s and early 1900s.

                2) Constitution St is the next in chronological order. It is
                located in the town and is bordered by Station Road and Landale Road. It
                is still quite active but again only into existing lairs.

                3) Balmoor is next and is located where was then the outskirts of
                the town but has long since been absorbed by urban spread. I believe it
                was opened either in the 1950s or early 1960s. It is active but I think
                all available lairs are taken.

                4) Grange is the newest and I think dates from the 1990s. All new
                lairs are in this cemetery. It is located close to Balmoor and next to
                Robert Mackie's funeral hall. It only has its first area in use at the
                moment but there is further land reserved there for, I have heard, 50
                years.

                Regards,

                Roy

                ________________________________

                Can any tell me the name of the Peterhead cemetery, am working again
                on my ancestors from this area.

                I am interested in James Robertson,(my 2nd great grandfather) bc
                1816, died bef, 1861, he was a ships carpenter and married Ann Smith
                b Sept 1817 in Portessie.

                Am trying to track down where James and others from Peterhead may
                have been buried.

                James and Ann had 7 children, their daughter Jane b 1849 died 8 march
                1908, was my great grandmother, she married John Lawrence May from
                Inverallochy.

                Also, if anyone has connections to the above would love to hear from
                you.

                Regards

                Maureen. Born in The Broch, now living down under in New Zealand.

                CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                of this communication or message.

              • moresmall
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
                  Hi

                  Thanks to all who replied to my posting about the name / names of the
                  Peterhead cemetery, I waa very surprised to hear that there was 4
                  cemeteries in Peterhead, now all I have to do is find my relatives /
                  ancestors.

                  Maureen