John Johnston

  • ugiepark1
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22 12:07 PM
      For Carol Tate :

      Hi Carol,
      I saw the Peterhead Episcopal Records at the Aberdeen & N.E. F.H.S. on
      King Street, Aberdeen. Someone had transcribed them and they were there
      on "hard copy", but they only covered 1820 - 1850 if I remember
      correctly.
      I copied some of them, as I was interested in Peterhead Shipmasters.

      It's quite possible that the original JOHN died and that they used the
      name subsequently for another child. I have encountered this several
      times in my researches.

      Best Regards...............Alex Ritchie
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22 6:16 PM
        On 23/08/2007, at 5:07 AM, ugiepark1 wrote:
        > Hi Carol,
        > I saw the Peterhead Episcopal Records at the Aberdeen & N.E. F.H.S. on
        > King Street, Aberdeen. Someone had transcribed them and they were
        > there
        > on "hard copy", but they only covered 1820 - 1850 if I remember
        > correctly.
        > I copied some of them, as I was interested in Peterhead Shipmasters.
        >
        > It's quite possible that the original JOHN died and that they used the
        > name subsequently for another child. I have encountered this several
        > times in my researches.
        >
        > Best Regards...............Alex Ritchie
        While we are discussing church records, does anybody know anything
        about records of the Methodist Church in Peterhead? Many of my
        Peterhead ancestors were Methodists, and I am wondering if this is
        why I have quite often been unable to find records of pre-1855 births
        and marriages in the OPR database at ScotlandsPeople. Would the
        Methodist church records be preserved anywhere? Have they been
        transcribed?

        Mary
      • Anne M Allan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23 10:02 AM
          Hi

          I believe that the Methodist Church records at the National Archives of
          Scotland in Edinburgh. The dates vary greatly from place to place, and
          are closed for 60 years. They contain lists of members and seat
          holdersand are arranged alphabetically by place.

          Anne