RE: [Peterhead] Alexander Mathew

  • Christine Tregonning
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
      Dear All,

      I am also interested in a Thomas MATTHEW. I don�t know if there is any
      connection but this Thomas MATTHEW married a Marjory FRASER in Fraserburgh
      in 1792.

      As a witness to the baptism of Isobel Ritchie FRASER in Fraserburgh in 1815
      there is a Robert MATTHEW.

      Possibly a co-incidence but who knows.

      Regards,

      Christine

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 13, 2007
        At 06:06 AM 22/08/2007, you wrote:

        >Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this
        >is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander
        >Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a
        >brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter}
        >married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James
        >Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a
        >sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of
        >birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotlands People and look at
        >Alexander's testimony.

        This is rather belated, but I was interested to see the name Mathew.
        I have an Elizabeth Mathew, born c. 1791, died 10 December 1839,
        married to a James Murrison or Muirison 10 December 1811. Would be
        very interested if anyone has someone of this name as a possible
        sibling or daughter.

        Regards,
        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        Lenah Valley, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
        (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
      • Alex
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
          For Chick :

          I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :

          Helen H (3/64 shares)
          Theseus of London (2/64 shares)

          Hope that helps a little.

          Alex Ritchie
        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
            Hi Alex,

            It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of Peterhead-registered vessels.

            I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

            Thanks.

            Mary

            On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

            > For Chick :
            >
            > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
            >
            > Helen H (3/64 shares)
            > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
            >
            > Hope that helps a little.
            >
            > Alex Ritchie

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...
          • alex-jean Ritchie
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
              Hi Mary,

              I picked some ownership details from searching
              Wills (plus some other sources).

              Did you check Matthew Nicol's Will & Testament,
              and Inventory of goods. There might be details there of any other ships
              he had shares in.

              As far as other owners of shares in "EXPRESS",
              the best route would be through the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping which
              are housed at the City Archives, Townhouse, Aberdeen.

              If we got the launch date, the "EXPRESS" would almost certainly be in
              those Registers since the vessel is very likely to have used the port of
              Aberdeen at various times. The Registers of Shipping detail all the
              owners and when/if a vessel changed ownership. Unfortunately, I live
              about 200 miles from Aberdeen so I couldn't offer to look for you.
              However, maybe some other subscriber might be able to look for you. You
              have to make an appointment to visit the Archives and it's only open
              certain days.

              I do occasionally go up to Peterhead, but I have
              no immediate plans in the near future.

              Hope someone might be able to help
              you.......Alex Ritchie

              It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of
              Peterhead-registered vessels.

              I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my
              g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will
              and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol
              owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a
              local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part
              owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to
              find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it
              possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

              Thanks.

              Mary

              On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

              > For Chick :
              >
              > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
              >
              > Helen H (3/64 shares)
              > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
              >
              > Hope that helps a little.
              >
              > Alex Ritchie

              Mary Barnes
              marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

            • Mary Barnes
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                Hi Alex,

                I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

                Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

                Mary Barnes
                marysb@...
              • alex-jean Ritchie
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Hi Mary,

                  I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
                  Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

                  I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
                  still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

                  Alex Ritchie

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
                    Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
                        cheers Chick