Re: [Peterhead] Alexander Mathew

  • chick mathew
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
      Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter} married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotands People and look at Alexanders testimony.
      thanks Chick

      ugiepark1 <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:
      For Chick :

      Chick, I only have the following information on Alexander Mathew. You
      probably know this already :

      ALEXANDER MATHEW
      Born : c1830
      Owned 3/64 shares in the vessel "Helen H"
      owned 2/64 shares in the "Theseus" of London
      Died : May 16th.1876 at Sea (Master of the "Theseus")
      (Death Certificate : 020/MR (143))

      There was a Thomas Mathew in Peterhead who was a boat builder, would
      that have been his brother ?

      Alex Ritchie

    • Christine Tregonning
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
        Dear All,

        I am also interested in a Thomas MATTHEW. I don�t know if there is any
        connection but this Thomas MATTHEW married a Marjory FRASER in Fraserburgh
        in 1792.

        As a witness to the baptism of Isobel Ritchie FRASER in Fraserburgh in 1815
        there is a Robert MATTHEW.

        Possibly a co-incidence but who knows.

        Regards,

        Christine

        Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this is what
        I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander Mathew {ships
        carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a brother Robertson
        Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter} married to Eliza Robertson
        and a sister Margaret married to James Cow. I believe there were two other
        brothers Andrew and James and a sister Janet, my other problem is finding
        their dates and places of birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotands
        People and look at Alexanders testimony.
        thanks Chick

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        07:27

      • Elisabeth Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 13, 2007
          At 06:06 AM 22/08/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this
          >is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander
          >Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a
          >brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter}
          >married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James
          >Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a
          >sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of
          >birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotlands People and look at
          >Alexander's testimony.

          This is rather belated, but I was interested to see the name Mathew.
          I have an Elizabeth Mathew, born c. 1791, died 10 December 1839,
          married to a James Murrison or Muirison 10 December 1811. Would be
          very interested if anyone has someone of this name as a possible
          sibling or daughter.

          Regards,
          Elisabeth

          Elisabeth Wilson
          Lenah Valley, Tasmania
          SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
          (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
        • Alex
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
            For Chick :

            I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :

            Helen H (3/64 shares)
            Theseus of London (2/64 shares)

            Hope that helps a little.

            Alex Ritchie
          • Mary Barnes
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
              Hi Alex,

              It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of Peterhead-registered vessels.

              I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

              Thanks.

              Mary

              On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

              > For Chick :
              >
              > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
              >
              > Helen H (3/64 shares)
              > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
              >
              > Hope that helps a little.
              >
              > Alex Ritchie

              Mary Barnes
              marysb@...
            • alex-jean Ritchie
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                Hi Mary,

                I picked some ownership details from searching
                Wills (plus some other sources).

                Did you check Matthew Nicol's Will & Testament,
                and Inventory of goods. There might be details there of any other ships
                he had shares in.

                As far as other owners of shares in "EXPRESS",
                the best route would be through the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping which
                are housed at the City Archives, Townhouse, Aberdeen.

                If we got the launch date, the "EXPRESS" would almost certainly be in
                those Registers since the vessel is very likely to have used the port of
                Aberdeen at various times. The Registers of Shipping detail all the
                owners and when/if a vessel changed ownership. Unfortunately, I live
                about 200 miles from Aberdeen so I couldn't offer to look for you.
                However, maybe some other subscriber might be able to look for you. You
                have to make an appointment to visit the Archives and it's only open
                certain days.

                I do occasionally go up to Peterhead, but I have
                no immediate plans in the near future.

                Hope someone might be able to help
                you.......Alex Ritchie

                It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of
                Peterhead-registered vessels.

                I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my
                g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will
                and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol
                owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a
                local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part
                owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to
                find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it
                possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

                Thanks.

                Mary

                On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

                > For Chick :
                >
                > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
                >
                > Helen H (3/64 shares)
                > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
                >
                > Hope that helps a little.
                >
                > Alex Ritchie

                Mary Barnes
                marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

              • Mary Barnes
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                  Hi Alex,

                  I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

                  Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

                  Mary Barnes
                  marysb@...
                • alex-jean Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
                    Hi Mary,

                    I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
                    Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

                    I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
                    still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

                    Alex Ritchie

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
                      Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
                          cheers Chick