Johnston Peterhead 1852

  • Carol Tate
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2007
      Hi,

      I am very new to this and so very frustrated trying to find information on
      family so after reading your posts for some time now I thought maybe someone
      here might be able to steer me in the right direction. I don't just want to
      know their names and birthdates etc, I want to know what life was like for
      them, what happened to John Snr, what made them come to Australia etc. I
      know this is a big job but now that I have started, I feel these were my
      family and I need to know something about them. Anyway, off my soapbox now
      and I will give you some info on them.

      My Great Grandfather John Johnston Born Peterhead 1852 to John Johnston born
      Scotland and Mary Lane born Ireland with both born around 1820. From their
      entry into Australia, there was Mary with children Matilda, Margaret,
      William and John. I have found them in the 1851 and 1861 Census living in 9
      Union Street Peterhead. No mention of John Snr either time but Mary listed
      as seamans wife and another daughter Mary but she was not listed as coming
      to Australia. And it also says that all the children except William were
      born in Peterhead. Young Mary was born 1842 and young John 1852 so there is
      a 10 year period there that they were in Peterhead.

      I cannot find anything on births, marriage or deaths on any of the family.
      I have found their passage to Australia in Oct 1863 on the Severn but Mary
      came as a widow with 4 children one of which was John my GGrandfather.
      It looks like John Snr died somewhere between 1852 and 1863. He is listed
      on John Jnr Marriage Certificate as a Master Mariner but as yet still cant
      find anything on that either. Any help would be really appreciated and I
      hope I have not waffled on too much.

      Regards
      Carol
    • Cci
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2007
        Hi Carol,
        What part of Australia? did your family go to.

        I could only find these two entries regarding John and Mary Johnston as witnesses to, two baptisms.

        William Mitchell, Seaman in Peterhead
        annd Jane Johnston his wife a dau Elizabeth
        born 19th March 1854 bap 24th April 1854
        beofre John Johnston and Mary Lane

        William Mitchell, Seaman in Peterhead
        and Jean Robertson his wife a dau Jane
        born 24th Feb 1852 bap 1st March 1852
        before John and Mrs Johnston.

        I'll keep looking and see what I can find.
        Why did your family come to Australia, probably the same as my parents,
        a different way of life and perhaps economicaly better.

        Best wishes,
        Catherine
        Perth, Western Australia