Alexander Mathew

  • ugiepark1
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2007
      For Chick :

      Chick, the Death Certificate for Alexander Mathew doesn't have much
      detail on it.
      It says he died on May 16th.1876, and the THESEUS arrived back in port
      on September 11th.1876. So presumably he has buried at sea.
      The cause of death is given as "unrecorded"

      Alex Ritchie
    • chick mathew
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
        Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter} married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotands People and look at Alexanders testimony.
        thanks Chick

        ugiepark1 <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:
        For Chick :

        Chick, I only have the following information on Alexander Mathew. You
        probably know this already :

        ALEXANDER MATHEW
        Born : c1830
        Owned 3/64 shares in the vessel "Helen H"
        owned 2/64 shares in the "Theseus" of London
        Died : May 16th.1876 at Sea (Master of the "Theseus")
        (Death Certificate : 020/MR (143))

        There was a Thomas Mathew in Peterhead who was a boat builder, would
        that have been his brother ?

        Alex Ritchie

      • Christine Tregonning
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
          Dear All,

          I am also interested in a Thomas MATTHEW. I don�t know if there is any
          connection but this Thomas MATTHEW married a Marjory FRASER in Fraserburgh
          in 1792.

          As a witness to the baptism of Isobel Ritchie FRASER in Fraserburgh in 1815
          there is a Robert MATTHEW.

          Possibly a co-incidence but who knows.

          Regards,

          Christine

          Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this is what
          I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander Mathew {ships
          carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a brother Robertson
          Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter} married to Eliza Robertson
          and a sister Margaret married to James Cow. I believe there were two other
          brothers Andrew and James and a sister Janet, my other problem is finding
          their dates and places of birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotands
          People and look at Alexanders testimony.
          thanks Chick

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          07:27

        • Elisabeth Wilson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 13, 2007
            At 06:06 AM 22/08/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this
            >is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander
            >Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a
            >brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter}
            >married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James
            >Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a
            >sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of
            >birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotlands People and look at
            >Alexander's testimony.

            This is rather belated, but I was interested to see the name Mathew.
            I have an Elizabeth Mathew, born c. 1791, died 10 December 1839,
            married to a James Murrison or Muirison 10 December 1811. Would be
            very interested if anyone has someone of this name as a possible
            sibling or daughter.

            Regards,
            Elisabeth

            Elisabeth Wilson
            Lenah Valley, Tasmania
            SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
            (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
              For Chick :

              I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :

              Helen H (3/64 shares)
              Theseus of London (2/64 shares)

              Hope that helps a little.

              Alex Ritchie
            • Mary Barnes
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
                Hi Alex,

                It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of Peterhead-registered vessels.

                I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

                Thanks.

                Mary

                On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

                > For Chick :
                >
                > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
                >
                > Helen H (3/64 shares)
                > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
                >
                > Hope that helps a little.
                >
                > Alex Ritchie

                Mary Barnes
                marysb@...
              • alex-jean Ritchie
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                  Hi Mary,

                  I picked some ownership details from searching
                  Wills (plus some other sources).

                  Did you check Matthew Nicol's Will & Testament,
                  and Inventory of goods. There might be details there of any other ships
                  he had shares in.

                  As far as other owners of shares in "EXPRESS",
                  the best route would be through the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping which
                  are housed at the City Archives, Townhouse, Aberdeen.

                  If we got the launch date, the "EXPRESS" would almost certainly be in
                  those Registers since the vessel is very likely to have used the port of
                  Aberdeen at various times. The Registers of Shipping detail all the
                  owners and when/if a vessel changed ownership. Unfortunately, I live
                  about 200 miles from Aberdeen so I couldn't offer to look for you.
                  However, maybe some other subscriber might be able to look for you. You
                  have to make an appointment to visit the Archives and it's only open
                  certain days.

                  I do occasionally go up to Peterhead, but I have
                  no immediate plans in the near future.

                  Hope someone might be able to help
                  you.......Alex Ritchie

                  It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of
                  Peterhead-registered vessels.

                  I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my
                  g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will
                  and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol
                  owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a
                  local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part
                  owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to
                  find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it
                  possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

                  Thanks.

                  Mary

                  On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

                  > For Chick :
                  >
                  > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
                  >
                  > Helen H (3/64 shares)
                  > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
                  >
                  > Hope that helps a little.
                  >
                  > Alex Ritchie

                  Mary Barnes
                  marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

                • Mary Barnes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                    Hi Alex,

                    I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

                    Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

                    Mary Barnes
                    marysb@...
                  • alex-jean Ritchie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
                      Hi Mary,

                      I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
                      Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

                      I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
                      still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

                      Alex Ritchie

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
                        Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
                            cheers Chick