Alexander Mathew

  • ugiepark1
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2007
      For Chick :

      Chick, I only have the following information on Alexander Mathew. You
      probably know this already :

      ALEXANDER MATHEW
      Born : c1830
      Owned 3/64 shares in the vessel "Helen H"
      owned 2/64 shares in the "Theseus" of London
      Died : May 16th.1876 at Sea (Master of the "Theseus")
      (Death Certificate : 020/MR (143))

      There was a Thomas Mathew in Peterhead who was a boat builder, would
      that have been his brother ?

      Alex Ritchie
    • ugiepark1
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2007
        For Chick :

        Chick, the Death Certificate for Alexander Mathew doesn't have much
        detail on it.
        It says he died on May 16th.1876, and the THESEUS arrived back in port
        on September 11th.1876. So presumably he has buried at sea.
        The cause of death is given as "unrecorded"

        Alex Ritchie
      • chick mathew
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
          Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter} married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotands People and look at Alexanders testimony.
          thanks Chick

          ugiepark1 <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:
          For Chick :

          Chick, I only have the following information on Alexander Mathew. You
          probably know this already :

          ALEXANDER MATHEW
          Born : c1830
          Owned 3/64 shares in the vessel "Helen H"
          owned 2/64 shares in the "Theseus" of London
          Died : May 16th.1876 at Sea (Master of the "Theseus")
          (Death Certificate : 020/MR (143))

          There was a Thomas Mathew in Peterhead who was a boat builder, would
          that have been his brother ?

          Alex Ritchie

        • Christine Tregonning
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
            Dear All,

            I am also interested in a Thomas MATTHEW. I don�t know if there is any
            connection but this Thomas MATTHEW married a Marjory FRASER in Fraserburgh
            in 1792.

            As a witness to the baptism of Isobel Ritchie FRASER in Fraserburgh in 1815
            there is a Robert MATTHEW.

            Possibly a co-incidence but who knows.

            Regards,

            Christine

            Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this is what
            I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander Mathew {ships
            carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a brother Robertson
            Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter} married to Eliza Robertson
            and a sister Margaret married to James Cow. I believe there were two other
            brothers Andrew and James and a sister Janet, my other problem is finding
            their dates and places of birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotands
            People and look at Alexanders testimony.
            thanks Chick

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            07:27

          • Elisabeth Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 13, 2007
              At 06:06 AM 22/08/2007, you wrote:

              >Hi Alex, I don't know if Thomas was Alexander's brother or not, this
              >is what I'm trying to confirm. Thomas' fathers name was Alexander
              >Mathew {ships carpenter}, his mother was Margaret Robertson he had a
              >brother Robertson Mathew {my gt grandfather also a ships carpenter}
              >married to Eliza Robertson and a sister Margaret married to James
              >Cow. I believe there were two other brothers Andrew and James and a
              >sister Janet, my other problem is finding their dates and places of
              >birth. Still I'll have to go back to Scotlands People and look at
              >Alexander's testimony.

              This is rather belated, but I was interested to see the name Mathew.
              I have an Elizabeth Mathew, born c. 1791, died 10 December 1839,
              married to a James Murrison or Muirison 10 December 1811. Would be
              very interested if anyone has someone of this name as a possible
              sibling or daughter.

              Regards,
              Elisabeth

              Elisabeth Wilson
              Lenah Valley, Tasmania
              SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
              (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
            • Alex
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                For Chick :

                I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :

                Helen H (3/64 shares)
                Theseus of London (2/64 shares)

                Hope that helps a little.

                Alex Ritchie
              • Mary Barnes
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
                  Hi Alex,

                  It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of Peterhead-registered vessels.

                  I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

                  Thanks.

                  Mary

                  On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

                  > For Chick :
                  >
                  > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
                  >
                  > Helen H (3/64 shares)
                  > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
                  >
                  > Hope that helps a little.
                  >
                  > Alex Ritchie

                  Mary Barnes
                  marysb@...
                • alex-jean Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                    Hi Mary,

                    I picked some ownership details from searching
                    Wills (plus some other sources).

                    Did you check Matthew Nicol's Will & Testament,
                    and Inventory of goods. There might be details there of any other ships
                    he had shares in.

                    As far as other owners of shares in "EXPRESS",
                    the best route would be through the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping which
                    are housed at the City Archives, Townhouse, Aberdeen.

                    If we got the launch date, the "EXPRESS" would almost certainly be in
                    those Registers since the vessel is very likely to have used the port of
                    Aberdeen at various times. The Registers of Shipping detail all the
                    owners and when/if a vessel changed ownership. Unfortunately, I live
                    about 200 miles from Aberdeen so I couldn't offer to look for you.
                    However, maybe some other subscriber might be able to look for you. You
                    have to make an appointment to visit the Archives and it's only open
                    certain days.

                    I do occasionally go up to Peterhead, but I have
                    no immediate plans in the near future.

                    Hope someone might be able to help
                    you.......Alex Ritchie

                    It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of
                    Peterhead-registered vessels.

                    I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my
                    g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will
                    and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol
                    owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a
                    local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part
                    owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to
                    find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it
                    possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

                    Thanks.

                    Mary

                    On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

                    > For Chick :
                    >
                    > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
                    >
                    > Helen H (3/64 shares)
                    > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
                    >
                    > Hope that helps a little.
                    >
                    > Alex Ritchie

                    Mary Barnes
                    marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

                  • Mary Barnes
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                      Hi Alex,

                      I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

                      Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

                      Mary Barnes
                      marysb@...
                    • alex-jean Ritchie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
                        Hi Mary,

                        I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
                        Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

                        I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
                        still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

                        Alex Ritchie

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
                          Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
                              cheers Chick