Re: The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • nz.scot
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
      Hi Keith,

      I did receive your "off line" reply. It came straight to my email
      address. Really appreciate the "lookup" and your observations. It
      certainly is a possible explaination to this unusual firstname.
      Infact, right at this point in time it is about the only one I have.
      My thanks to everyone who replied.

      Cheers
      Ken

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Wade Buchan <wsb@...> wrote:

      > The following was sent to the moderator, rather than to the
      Peterhead Group.

      > Forward:
      >
      > Hi Ken
      >
      > I don't know if you received my two earlier emails as they haven't
      > appeared on this web site. So I will repeat the bones of my idea re
      > your problem CHRISTIAN name. Hope you get this one.
      >
      > I looked up the name in the supplimentary index of a little book I
      > have on 'Boy's Names' by Linwood Sleigh & Charles Johnson ( 1962),
      and
      > there is a possible solution, (I think anyway!). It's an old Welsh
      > (Gaelic??)name "COEL". If you apply a NE Scots dialect..and bearing
      in
      > mind then phonetically written in the early 1800s, I think you
      could
      > very easily finish up with "Coew" and thus "Cow". It means in
      Gaelic