Re: The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • nz.scot
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
      Thanks Margie. In my ancestors instance, I'm sure it was NOT a T-
      Name. He was born and christened in Peterhead as "Cow CORDINER" and
      was married and died as "Cow CORDINER" in Aberdeen. No other names
      appear on any of these certificates. I can trace most of my
      relatives back to the Boddam, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, and more
      recently Aberdeen areas of Scotland. The name appears seven times as
      a "stand alone firstname". My wifes ancestors seem to have lived
      within a 30 mile radius of Aberdeen and two of them also have
      the "Cow" firstname.

      Cheers
      Ken

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON
      <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

      > In Peterhead it was certainly used as a T name - not sure if it was
      the same in all cases but in the one I knew his middle name was used
      instead of his first name. I can't even remember his first name as he
      was always known as Cow Noble.

      > He died a few years ago in his 90's,
      >

      > Margie

    • nz.scot
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
        Hi Betty

        My tree does not have a "Cow", "Cowe" or "Cowie" as a surname. The
        first or Christian name "Cow" is obviously meant to be a given name.
        In all but one instance in my tree it is the only firstname given and
        it doesn't bear any resemblance to a similar past name that might
        have been handed down through the family.

        Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

        Ken

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Betty Holmes" <bede@...> wrote:

        > Good Morning Ken from Canada, I can't help with the otigins of the
        name COW-but- I have a good number in one of my family trees.
        > I start with GEORGE COW b. 1814 Peterhead and died Dec.1867.[ his
        father was also George.]
        > George m. Margaret Grant they had 5 children [that I know of]
        > Their Oldest child-Georgina b. 1838 married George Webster in 1856--
        this leads to my husband's Peterhead relatives. Betty.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
          The following was sent to the moderator, rather than to the Peterhead Group.

          Forward:

          Hi Ken

          I don't know if you received my two earlier emails as they haven't
          appeared on this web site. So I will repeat the bones of my idea re
          your problem CHRISTIAN name. Hope you get this one.

          I looked up the name in the supplimentary index of a little book I
          have on 'Boy's Names' by Linwood Sleigh & Charles Johnson ( 1962), and
          there is a possible solution, (I think anyway!). It's an old Welsh
          (Gaelic??)name "COEL". If you apply a NE Scots dialect..and bearing in
          mind then phonetically written in the early 1800s, I think you could
          very easily finish up with "Coew" and thus "Cow". It means in Gaelic
          "trust".

          Keith
        • nz.scot
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
            Hi Keith,

            I did receive your "off line" reply. It came straight to my email
            address. Really appreciate the "lookup" and your observations. It
            certainly is a possible explaination to this unusual firstname.
            Infact, right at this point in time it is about the only one I have.
            My thanks to everyone who replied.

            Cheers
            Ken