Re: [Peterhead] The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18 7:46 AM
      Ken Hi,

      My surname before marriage was Cowe however it had originally been Cow as my grandfather was born Cow and married Cowe through a mistake by the registrar.
      In my own family tree I have Cowe and Cow going back as far as early 1800.

      All were fishermen and movement was minimal from Drumlinie and Corskelly to Burnhaven, Buchanhaven and Peterhead.

      On my maternal side my grandfather was John Cow Strachan, named after a Jock Cow who had been in partnership with my gt grandfather in some of the boats and was well respected. I think he went to Canada,

      Margie

    • nz.scot
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18 1:56 PM
        Thanks Margie. In my ancestors instance, I'm sure it was NOT a T-
        Name. He was born and christened in Peterhead as "Cow CORDINER" and
        was married and died as "Cow CORDINER" in Aberdeen. No other names
        appear on any of these certificates. I can trace most of my
        relatives back to the Boddam, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, and more
        recently Aberdeen areas of Scotland. The name appears seven times as
        a "stand alone firstname". My wifes ancestors seem to have lived
        within a 30 mile radius of Aberdeen and two of them also have
        the "Cow" firstname.

        Cheers
        Ken

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON
        <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

        > In Peterhead it was certainly used as a T name - not sure if it was
        the same in all cases but in the one I knew his middle name was used
        instead of his first name. I can't even remember his first name as he
        was always known as Cow Noble.

        > He died a few years ago in his 90's,
        >

        > Margie

      • nz.scot
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18 8:06 PM
          Hi Betty

          My tree does not have a "Cow", "Cowe" or "Cowie" as a surname. The
          first or Christian name "Cow" is obviously meant to be a given name.
          In all but one instance in my tree it is the only firstname given and
          it doesn't bear any resemblance to a similar past name that might
          have been handed down through the family.

          Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

          Ken

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Betty Holmes" <bede@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning Ken from Canada, I can't help with the otigins of the
          name COW-but- I have a good number in one of my family trees.
          > I start with GEORGE COW b. 1814 Peterhead and died Dec.1867.[ his
          father was also George.]
          > George m. Margaret Grant they had 5 children [that I know of]
          > Their Oldest child-Georgina b. 1838 married George Webster in 1856--
          this leads to my husband's Peterhead relatives. Betty.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19 12:21 AM
            The following was sent to the moderator, rather than to the Peterhead Group.

            Forward:

            Hi Ken

            I don't know if you received my two earlier emails as they haven't
            appeared on this web site. So I will repeat the bones of my idea re
            your problem CHRISTIAN name. Hope you get this one.

            I looked up the name in the supplimentary index of a little book I
            have on 'Boy's Names' by Linwood Sleigh & Charles Johnson ( 1962), and
            there is a possible solution, (I think anyway!). It's an old Welsh
            (Gaelic??)name "COEL". If you apply a NE Scots dialect..and bearing in
            mind then phonetically written in the early 1800s, I think you could
            very easily finish up with "Coew" and thus "Cow". It means in Gaelic
            "trust".

            Keith
          • nz.scot
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19 1:29 PM
              Hi Keith,

              I did receive your "off line" reply. It came straight to my email
              address. Really appreciate the "lookup" and your observations. It
              certainly is a possible explaination to this unusual firstname.
              Infact, right at this point in time it is about the only one I have.
              My thanks to everyone who replied.

              Cheers
              Ken