Re: [Peterhead] The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • Betty Holmes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
      Good Morning Ken from Canada, I can't help with the otigins of the name COW-but- I have a good number in one of my family trees.
      I start with GEORGE COW b. 1814 Peterhead and died Dec.1867.[ his father was also George.]
      George m. Margaret Grant they had 5 children [that I know of]
      Their Oldest child-Georgina b. 1838 married George Webster in 1856--this leads to my husband's Peterhead relatives. Betty.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
        Ken Hi,

        My surname before marriage was Cowe however it had originally been Cow as my grandfather was born Cow and married Cowe through a mistake by the registrar.
        In my own family tree I have Cowe and Cow going back as far as early 1800.

        All were fishermen and movement was minimal from Drumlinie and Corskelly to Burnhaven, Buchanhaven and Peterhead.

        On my maternal side my grandfather was John Cow Strachan, named after a Jock Cow who had been in partnership with my gt grandfather in some of the boats and was well respected. I think he went to Canada,

        Margie

      • nz.scot
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
          Thanks Margie. In my ancestors instance, I'm sure it was NOT a T-
          Name. He was born and christened in Peterhead as "Cow CORDINER" and
          was married and died as "Cow CORDINER" in Aberdeen. No other names
          appear on any of these certificates. I can trace most of my
          relatives back to the Boddam, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, and more
          recently Aberdeen areas of Scotland. The name appears seven times as
          a "stand alone firstname". My wifes ancestors seem to have lived
          within a 30 mile radius of Aberdeen and two of them also have
          the "Cow" firstname.

          Cheers
          Ken

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON
          <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

          > In Peterhead it was certainly used as a T name - not sure if it was
          the same in all cases but in the one I knew his middle name was used
          instead of his first name. I can't even remember his first name as he
          was always known as Cow Noble.

          > He died a few years ago in his 90's,
          >

          > Margie

        • nz.scot
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
            Hi Betty

            My tree does not have a "Cow", "Cowe" or "Cowie" as a surname. The
            first or Christian name "Cow" is obviously meant to be a given name.
            In all but one instance in my tree it is the only firstname given and
            it doesn't bear any resemblance to a similar past name that might
            have been handed down through the family.

            Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
              The following was sent to the moderator, rather than to the Peterhead Group.

              Forward:

              Hi Ken

              I don't know if you received my two earlier emails as they haven't
              appeared on this web site. So I will repeat the bones of my idea re
              your problem CHRISTIAN name. Hope you get this one.

              I looked up the name in the supplimentary index of a little book I
              have on 'Boy's Names' by Linwood Sleigh & Charles Johnson ( 1962), and
              there is a possible solution, (I think anyway!). It's an old Welsh
              (Gaelic??)name "COEL". If you apply a NE Scots dialect..and bearing in
              mind then phonetically written in the early 1800s, I think you could
              very easily finish up with "Coew" and thus "Cow". It means in Gaelic
              "trust".

              Keith
            • nz.scot
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
                Hi Keith,

                I did receive your "off line" reply. It came straight to my email
                address. Really appreciate the "lookup" and your observations. It
                certainly is a possible explaination to this unusual firstname.
                Infact, right at this point in time it is about the only one I have.
                My thanks to everyone who replied.

                Cheers
                Ken