The meaning of the firstname "Cow"

  • nz.scot
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
      Hi Folks,

      Is there anyone out there who can tell me the origins of the
      firstname known as "Cow". Several of my ancestors have been called
      this name in the Peterhead and Fraserburgh area.

      My initial thought was that it may have been a "T-name", but then the
      name pops up in other branches of my ancestors that are not connected
      so this is obviously not the case. It seems as if it was mainly in
      use during the 1800's, as I haven't come across any use of the name
      in more recent times.

      I have checked on the internet and a tried Google, but apart from the
      obvious 4 legged variety, there doesn't seem to be any reference
      to "Cow" as a firstname.

      Any help would really be appreciated.

      Cheers
      Ken
    • MARGIE DAVIDSON
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
        In Peterhead it was certainly used as a T name - not sure if it was the same in all cases but in the one I knew his middle name was used instead of his first name. I can't even remember his first name as he was always known as Cow Noble.

        He died a few years ago in his 90's,

        Margie

      • Betty Holmes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
          Good Morning Ken from Canada, I can't help with the otigins of the name COW-but- I have a good number in one of my family trees.
          I start with GEORGE COW b. 1814 Peterhead and died Dec.1867.[ his father was also George.]
          George m. Margaret Grant they had 5 children [that I know of]
          Their Oldest child-Georgina b. 1838 married George Webster in 1856--this leads to my husband's Peterhead relatives. Betty.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
            Ken Hi,

            My surname before marriage was Cowe however it had originally been Cow as my grandfather was born Cow and married Cowe through a mistake by the registrar.
            In my own family tree I have Cowe and Cow going back as far as early 1800.

            All were fishermen and movement was minimal from Drumlinie and Corskelly to Burnhaven, Buchanhaven and Peterhead.

            On my maternal side my grandfather was John Cow Strachan, named after a Jock Cow who had been in partnership with my gt grandfather in some of the boats and was well respected. I think he went to Canada,

            Margie

          • nz.scot
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
              Thanks Margie. In my ancestors instance, I'm sure it was NOT a T-
              Name. He was born and christened in Peterhead as "Cow CORDINER" and
              was married and died as "Cow CORDINER" in Aberdeen. No other names
              appear on any of these certificates. I can trace most of my
              relatives back to the Boddam, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, and more
              recently Aberdeen areas of Scotland. The name appears seven times as
              a "stand alone firstname". My wifes ancestors seem to have lived
              within a 30 mile radius of Aberdeen and two of them also have
              the "Cow" firstname.

              Cheers
              Ken

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON
              <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

              > In Peterhead it was certainly used as a T name - not sure if it was
              the same in all cases but in the one I knew his middle name was used
              instead of his first name. I can't even remember his first name as he
              was always known as Cow Noble.

              > He died a few years ago in his 90's,
              >

              > Margie

            • nz.scot
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
                Hi Betty

                My tree does not have a "Cow", "Cowe" or "Cowie" as a surname. The
                first or Christian name "Cow" is obviously meant to be a given name.
                In all but one instance in my tree it is the only firstname given and
                it doesn't bear any resemblance to a similar past name that might
                have been handed down through the family.

                Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

                Ken

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
                  The following was sent to the moderator, rather than to the Peterhead Group.

                  Forward:

                  Hi Ken

                  I don't know if you received my two earlier emails as they haven't
                  appeared on this web site. So I will repeat the bones of my idea re
                  your problem CHRISTIAN name. Hope you get this one.

                  I looked up the name in the supplimentary index of a little book I
                  have on 'Boy's Names' by Linwood Sleigh & Charles Johnson ( 1962), and
                  there is a possible solution, (I think anyway!). It's an old Welsh
                  (Gaelic??)name "COEL". If you apply a NE Scots dialect..and bearing in
                  mind then phonetically written in the early 1800s, I think you could
                  very easily finish up with "Coew" and thus "Cow". It means in Gaelic
                  "trust".

                  Keith
                • nz.scot
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2007
                    Hi Keith,

                    I did receive your "off line" reply. It came straight to my email
                    address. Really appreciate the "lookup" and your observations. It
                    certainly is a possible explaination to this unusual firstname.
                    Infact, right at this point in time it is about the only one I have.
                    My thanks to everyone who replied.

                    Cheers
                    Ken