Re: [Peterhead] Family of Alexander Chalmers and Christian Wilson

  • Celtic Mist
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2007
      --- Keith Baigrie <keith.baigrie@...> wrote:

      > Hello Mary,
      >
      > Amongst my lot, the ( Bagrie/ Baigrie etc), who also
      > hail from all along the Banff-Peterhead area, some
      > of whom perculated down to Leith and Edinburgh in
      > the early 1800s. My Grandfathers sister Elizabeth
      > Bagrie Born 1876 Edinburgh married a Chalmers. All I
      > have at the moment is my own note saying "possible
      > marriage Edinburgh St Giles 1903 No. 947" so will be
      > easy to check out. If you have no joy come back to
      > me and I will help if I can. Good luck!
      >
      > Keith Baigrie

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 8 , May 26, 2007
        Thank you Catherine. I don't know why I missed that. Starting from
        the info you provided, I have now managed to find the register entry
        for John McLeod's marriage, which tells me, among other things that
        his father was Alexander McLeod, Ship Carpenter. So I've made some
        progress, but I'm still looking for other siblings of Ann, Andrew and
        Esther Chalmers.

        Mary
        > Hi Mary,
        > I had a quick look on the FreeCen site, this is what was on John
        > McLeod.
        >
        > add Tolbooth Lane, Peterhead
        > Esther Chalmers, head, unmar, 29, Pauper, brn St Fergus Banffshire
        > John McLeod, son, un, 11, Apprentice Blacksmith, brn Peterhead
        >
        > I'll see what else I can find,
        > Catherine

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2007
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Celtic Mist <airforce_one19149@...> wrote:

          > --- Keith Baigrie <keith.baigrie@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello Mary,
          > >
          > > Amongst my lot, the ( Bagrie/ Baigrie etc), who also
          > > hail from all along the Banff-Peterhead area, some
          > > of whom perculated down to Leith and Edinburgh in
          > > the early 1800s. My Grandfathers sister Elizabeth
          > > Bagrie Born 1876 Edinburgh married a Chalmers. All I
          > > have at the moment is my own note saying "possible
          > > marriage Edinburgh St Giles 1903 No. 947" so will be
          > > easy to check out. If you have no joy come back to
          > > me and I will help if I can. Good luck!
          > >
          > > Keith Baigrie

          Hello Keith,

          A delayed reply to your answer to my enquiry about the Chalmers family - I have just
          realised a connection with the Baigrie family that may or may not be relevant.

          Andrew Chalmers' first wife was Elizabeth Anderson - they married in Peterhead in 1848. I
          think I may have found her in the 1841 census. In the household of Jean Baigrie (age 60,
          Independent means) at Netherton of Invereddie, Longside, were George Baigrie, 36,
          Shoemaker, Elizabeth Baigrie, 34, Ag. Lab., and Elizabeth Anderson, 15, Independent
          means, all born in Aberdeenshire. I can't be sure that this is the correct Elizabeth
          Anderson, but the marriage record says she was from Longside, and Andrew Chalmers was
          a shoemaker which is another possible link. Any thoughts? Do these Baigries
          belong to your family?

          Mary
        • Keith Baigrie
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
            Hi Mary,
            Thanks for the reply, like you I wonder about this connection. The christian names are so worryingly similiar I shall have give it some close attention, and well see what comes out of the woodwork. Will be in touch.
            Best wishes,
            Keith