Family of Alexander Chalmers and Christian Wilson

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2007
      I've come up against a brick wall in researching my g-g-grandparents,
      Alexander Chalmers and Christian Wilson and their family. I wonder if
      anyone on the list can help me make a breakthrough.

      The register entry for the death of my g-grandfather, Andrew Clark
      Chalmers (b abt 1823, d 26/5/1879), gives his parents as Alexander
      Chalmers, farm labourer, and Christian Wilson. According to the 1851
      census, Andrew was born in St Fergus (at that time part of
      Banffshire). I have found two other people with the same parents:

      1. Ann Chalmers, born abt 1806, also in St Fergus, married Alexander
      Maitland, and they had two daughters, Sarah (b abt 1828) and
      Christian (b abt 1832). In 1951 they were living in Peterhead. Ann
      died in Peterhead on 10/1/1856.

      2. Esther Chalmers, born abt 1820 in Aberdeenshire, never married,
      but had a son, John McLeod, born abt 1839. She died in Peterhead on
      24/4/1858.

      Some questions arise, which I have been unable to answer:

      First, given the large gap between the birth of Ann in 1806 and
      Esther in 1820, it seems likely that there were other children, but I
      have been unable to find any record of them. Has anyone any
      knowledge of other children of Alexander Chalmers and Christian
      Wilson, or suggestions how I might set about looking for them?

      Second, I have been unable to find any record of the birth of John
      McLeod, or who his father was. He appears in the 1841 census as a
      member of the household of Alexander Chalmers, and re-appears as the
      informant about Esther's death, but I can't find out anything else
      about him.

      I would like to know when Alexander and Christian died. Alexander was
      reported as deceased at the time of Esther's death in 1856, but
      Christian Wilson was not. However, she was absent from the household
      in the 1841 census, so may have already died by then. I found one
      Chalmers monument in the Old Peterhead kirkyard, but it's for Andrew
      and his second wife. I couldn't find an earlier one for Alexander and/
      or Christian. Any ideas?

      Mary Barnes
    • Cci
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2007
        Hi Mary,
        I had a quick look on the FreeCen site, this is what was on John McLeod.

        add Tolbooth Lane, Peterhead
        Esther Chalmers, head, unmar, 29, Pauper, brn St Fergus Banffshire
        John McLeod, son, un, 11, Apprentice Blacksmith, brn Peterhead

        I'll see what else I can find,
        Catherine

        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2007
          Hello Mary,

          Amongst my lot, the ( Bagrie/ Baigrie etc), who also hail from all along the Banff-Peterhead area, some of whom perculated down to Leith and Edinburgh in the early 1800s. My Grandfathers sister Elizabeth Bagrie Born 1876 Edinburgh married a Chalmers. All I have at the moment is my own note saying "possible marriage Edinburgh St Giles 1903 No. 947" so will be easy to check out. If you have no joy come back to me and I will help if I can. Good luck!

          Keith Baigrie

          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2007
            --- Keith Baigrie <keith.baigrie@...> wrote:

            > Hello Mary,
            >
            > Amongst my lot, the ( Bagrie/ Baigrie etc), who also
            > hail from all along the Banff-Peterhead area, some
            > of whom perculated down to Leith and Edinburgh in
            > the early 1800s. My Grandfathers sister Elizabeth
            > Bagrie Born 1876 Edinburgh married a Chalmers. All I
            > have at the moment is my own note saying "possible
            > marriage Edinburgh St Giles 1903 No. 947" so will be
            > easy to check out. If you have no joy come back to
            > me and I will help if I can. Good luck!
            >
            > Keith Baigrie

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
            http://farechase.yahoo.com/
          • Mary Barnes
            Message 5 of 8 , May 26, 2007
              Thank you Catherine. I don't know why I missed that. Starting from
              the info you provided, I have now managed to find the register entry
              for John McLeod's marriage, which tells me, among other things that
              his father was Alexander McLeod, Ship Carpenter. So I've made some
              progress, but I'm still looking for other siblings of Ann, Andrew and
              Esther Chalmers.

              Mary
              > Hi Mary,
              > I had a quick look on the FreeCen site, this is what was on John
              > McLeod.
              >
              > add Tolbooth Lane, Peterhead
              > Esther Chalmers, head, unmar, 29, Pauper, brn St Fergus Banffshire
              > John McLeod, son, un, 11, Apprentice Blacksmith, brn Peterhead
              >
              > I'll see what else I can find,
              > Catherine

            • Mary Barnes
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 21, 2007
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Celtic Mist <airforce_one19149@...> wrote:

                > --- Keith Baigrie <keith.baigrie@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hello Mary,
                > >
                > > Amongst my lot, the ( Bagrie/ Baigrie etc), who also
                > > hail from all along the Banff-Peterhead area, some
                > > of whom perculated down to Leith and Edinburgh in
                > > the early 1800s. My Grandfathers sister Elizabeth
                > > Bagrie Born 1876 Edinburgh married a Chalmers. All I
                > > have at the moment is my own note saying "possible
                > > marriage Edinburgh St Giles 1903 No. 947" so will be
                > > easy to check out. If you have no joy come back to
                > > me and I will help if I can. Good luck!
                > >
                > > Keith Baigrie

                Hello Keith,

                A delayed reply to your answer to my enquiry about the Chalmers family - I have just
                realised a connection with the Baigrie family that may or may not be relevant.

                Andrew Chalmers' first wife was Elizabeth Anderson - they married in Peterhead in 1848. I
                think I may have found her in the 1841 census. In the household of Jean Baigrie (age 60,
                Independent means) at Netherton of Invereddie, Longside, were George Baigrie, 36,
                Shoemaker, Elizabeth Baigrie, 34, Ag. Lab., and Elizabeth Anderson, 15, Independent
                means, all born in Aberdeenshire. I can't be sure that this is the correct Elizabeth
                Anderson, but the marriage record says she was from Longside, and Andrew Chalmers was
                a shoemaker which is another possible link. Any thoughts? Do these Baigries
                belong to your family?

                Mary
              • Keith Baigrie
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                  Hi Mary,
                  Thanks for the reply, like you I wonder about this connection. The christian names are so worryingly similiar I shall have give it some close attention, and well see what comes out of the woodwork. Will be in touch.
                  Best wishes,
                  Keith