BIRNIE Lairs

  • ugiepark1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
      For Roy Henderson :

      Hi Roy,
      I'm only aware of the Registrar in Arbuthnot House having searchable
      database, but they won't let you use it directly. You have to ask
      them to do a search.
      However, the person who inputted all the data into the database was a
      gentleman called John Milne. He also sent copies of everything to the
      Family History Centre in Aberdeen, and their intention was to release
      a CD which could be purchased. However, for some reason this CD has
      never seen the light of day...although you could search yourself if
      you go to their shop on King Street, Aberdeen (depending where you
      live, of course !)
      I collected a lot of Old Cemetery records some years ago now. Each
      time I came to Peterhead, Shirley Dickie (then the Assistant
      Registrar) would give me the books and I would plough through them
      and note down anything of interest to me. I was mainly looking for
      information on Peterhead Shipmasters rather than copying all the
      records. I don't think they are inclined these days to allow this
      (Shirley is now the Registrar, I believe).
      I do have a fair bit of Lair records collected myself (hard copy) but
      it's pretty random and done mostly for my own research project.
      However, I would be happy to look if you give me a Lair Number..you
      might be lucky.

      Alex Ritchie
    • roy_henderson_1955
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
        Thanks for the comprehensive reply Alex. I know Shirley's name but I
        haven't actually met her as yet. I know the Registrar at Maud very
        well and she gave me Shirley's name. I intend to go in past
        Arburthnot House one of these days but want to line up a series of
        search questions first.

        I have several names I'm interested in at the moment for lair details
        but my search is not narrow enough yet to impose on anyone else. I
        think what I might do is pay a visit to the ANESFHS and search their
        database to see if I pick up any hits.

        One thing I do need to get is a lair-map for both the Old Kirkyard
        and Constitution Street - I have partial maps at the moment. I have
        the advantage of living within 5 minutes of these cemeteries but
        searching the stones is a hit or miss affair.

        Regards,

        Roy

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ugiepark1" <alex-jean.ritchie@...>