Re: Birnie LAIRS (St.Peters)

  • roy_henderson_1955
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
      Linda,

      I just took a quick look into the cemetery and found a couple of
      adjacent BIRNIE stones. Not sure if they are the ones you are
      interested in or not ...

      The first is very old and is a horizontal stone on two blocks. Its
      first inscription is for an Alexander Birnie died 1812. The full
      inscription is still in very good condition.

      The second is much newer and is a pink grantite one. It includes
      mention of a Birnie who was lost at sea on HMS Courageous in 1942.

      Are these the ones you're looking for?

      Roy

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ugiepark1" <alex-jean.ritchie@...>
      wrote:

      > Here are some adjacent BIRNIE Lairs which may or may not be of
      > interest :
      >
      > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E173 George Birnie & Others
      > James Birnie 48 Nov.15th.1830 Mason
      > Margaret Birnie 83 Nov.30th.1871
      Longate

      > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E174 George Birnie & Others
      > Maria Ann Moir or Birnie 31 March 1st.1850 Longate
      > Alexander Birnie 77 Feb.19th.1855 Longate
      > Maria Birnie 26 June 3rd.1864 Longate
      > Alexander Birnie 53 Dec.10th.1867 Longate
      > (+ 5 Others)
      >
      > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E175 George Birnie,
      > Shipbuilder & Others
      > Peter Birnie 58 June 3rd.1837 Cooper
      > Elizabeth B.Birnie 64 May 23rd.1891 Bath Street
      > (Incomplete)
      >
      > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E178 John Birnie, Draper
      > John Birnie 53 May 11th.1842 Shipmaster
      > Jane Geary 53 Jan.27th.1849 Wife of John Birnie, Shipmaster
      > Catherine Ann Birnie 10 months Aug.19th.1825 Daughter of John
      > Birnie, Shipmaster
      > Alexander Birnie 7 Aug.25th.1825 Son of John Birnie, Shipmaster
      > Ann Birnie 4 Feb.20th.1832
      > Charles Birnie 14 June 1st.1836
      >
      > Alex Ritchie

    • Celtic Mist
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
        Are There any THOMSON in those Lairs,. Could please send.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
          Where did you get that information Alex? Is the whole cemetery
          available in a searchable format?

          Thanks,

          wrote:

          > Here are some adjacent BIRNIE Lairs which may or may not be of
          > interest :
          >
          > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E173 George Birnie & Others
          > James Birnie 48 Nov.15th.1830 Mason
          > Margaret Birnie 83 Nov.30th.1871
          Longate

          > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E174 George Birnie & Others
          > Maria Ann Moir or Birnie 31 March 1st.1850 Longate
          > Alexander Birnie 77 Feb.19th.1855 Longate
          > Maria Birnie 26 June 3rd.1864 Longate
          > Alexander Birnie 53 Dec.10th.1867 Longate
          > (+ 5 Others)
          >
          > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E175 George Birnie,
          > Shipbuilder & Others
          > Peter Birnie 58 June 3rd.1837 Cooper
          > Elizabeth B.Birnie 64 May 23rd.1891 Bath Street
          > (Incomplete)
          >
          > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E178 John Birnie, Draper
          > John Birnie 53 May 11th.1842 Shipmaster
          > Jane Geary 53 Jan.27th.1849 Wife of John Birnie, Shipmaster
          > Catherine Ann Birnie 10 months Aug.19th.1825 Daughter of John
          > Birnie, Shipmaster
          > Alexander Birnie 7 Aug.25th.1825 Son of John Birnie, Shipmaster
          > Ann Birnie 4 Feb.20th.1832
          > Charles Birnie 14 June 1st.1836
          >
          > Alex Ritchie

        • Linda Adam
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
            Roy, my GGGG Grandfather was Alexander Birnie, Joiner/Mason b. ABT. 1748 d.
            1812. That must be his headstone. His wife was Margaret Findlater. How
            wonderful that the stone still exists and is in condition.

            I'm not sure if the pink granite stone would be from my Birnie's. I can't
            recall mention of a Birnie lost at sea -- but you never can tell.

            The purpose of my original request was to attempt to determine if John
            Birnie (wife Jane Geary) happens to be a son of Alexander Birnie & Margaret
            Findlater.

            Thank you all for the support.

            wrote:

            > Here are some adjacent BIRNIE Lairs which may or may not be of
            > interest :
            >
            > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E173 George Birnie & Others
            > James Birnie 48 Nov.15th.1830 Mason
            > Margaret Birnie 83 Nov.30th.1871
            Longate

            > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E174 George Birnie & Others
            > Maria Ann Moir or Birnie 31 March 1st.1850 Longate
            > Alexander Birnie 77 Feb.19th.1855 Longate
            > Maria Birnie 26 June 3rd.1864 Longate
            > Alexander Birnie 53 Dec.10th.1867 Longate
            > (+ 5 Others)
            >
            > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E175 George Birnie,
            > Shipbuilder & Others
            > Peter Birnie 58 June 3rd.1837 Cooper
            > Elizabeth B.Birnie 64 May 23rd.1891 Bath Street
            > (Incomplete)
            >
            > SOUTH ROAD CEMETERY PETERHEAD Lair E178 John Birnie, Draper
            > John Birnie 53 May 11th.1842 Shipmaster
            > Jane Geary 53 Jan.27th.1849 Wife of John Birnie, Shipmaster
            > Catherine Ann Birnie 10 months Aug.19th.1825 Daughter of John
            > Birnie, Shipmaster
            > Alexander Birnie 7 Aug.25th.1825 Son of John Birnie, Shipmaster
            > Ann Birnie 4 Feb.20th.1832
            > Charles Birnie 14 June 1st.1836
            >
            > Alex Ritchie

          • roy_henderson_1955
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
              When I get a chance I'll try and take a couple of pictures for you
              Linda. As I said, the surface of the 1812 stone is still in very good
              condition so I should be able to transcribe the entire inscription.

              There are others mentioned on the newer stone but I did not want to
              spend any time until you confirmed if I had the ones you were
              interested in. I don't recall any other BIRNIE stones beside them
              which Alex's information would suggest but I'll look more closely
              when I go back.

              Regards,

              Roy

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Adam" <taadam@...> wrote:

              > Roy, my GGGG Grandfather was Alexander Birnie, Joiner/Mason b. ABT.
              1748 d.
              > 1812. That must be his headstone. His wife was Margaret Findlater.
              How
              > wonderful that the stone still exists and is in condition.
              >
              > I'm not sure if the pink granite stone would be from my Birnie's. I
              can't
              > recall mention of a Birnie lost at sea -- but you never can tell.
              >
              > The purpose of my original request was to attempt to determine if
              John
              > Birnie (wife Jane Geary) happens to be a son of Alexander Birnie &
              Margaret
              > Findlater.
              >
              > Thank you all for the support.
              > Linda

            • roy_henderson_1955
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
                There's mention of Margaret Findlater on the 1812 stone Linda so that
                confirms its identity.

              • Linda Adam
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
                  Roy, a photo would be wonderful! Thanks once again.
                  Linda