Re: [Peterhead] Re: Murrisons family

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
      At 06:43 PM 10/03/2007, you wrote:

      >Hi Elizabeth and Roy,
      >
      >I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
      >spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
      >even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).
      ><SNIP>
      >
      >Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
      >the gaps.

      I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the Murrison part of our
      family. Here is what I have:

      My 3Xgreat grandmother was Margaret Murrison born 6 October 1813,
      parents James Murison c. 1771-1839, Elizabeth Mathew c. 1791-1839.
      They were married 21 Dec 1811 in Cruden, spelling Muirison so that is
      another variation to add to the list!

      She married James Spence on 19 Jan 1833 and I think they had 3
      children - in the 1841 census there is Gordon aged 10 (??), Elizabeth
      aged 7, and James aged 5. Elizabeth was my 2Xgreat grandmother. We
      believe, but I haven't nailed this, that James Spence was dead by
      then - certainly the family story is that she was widowed very early
      on, and said she never married again because she couldn't fancy anyone else!

      Mary, if you send me your email address separately, to
      elisabeth.wilson@..., I can forward you the list of Murrison
      burial records in the Peterhead churchyard. From memory of my visit
      to the old church at Cruden, there were quite a lot buried there as well.

      Best wishes,
      Elisabeth

      Elisabeth Wilson
      Lenah Valley, Tasmania
      SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
      (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)