Re: Murrisons family

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
      Hi Elizabeth and Roy,

      I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
      spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
      even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).

      Here's what I have:
      George Murrison, Weaver, b abt 1790 in Fraserburgh, d 29/12/1863 at 75
      Kirk St, Peterhead.
      Margaret McCombie b abt 1786 in Fraserburgh, married George Murrison on
      12/11/1820 in Peterhead, d 20/12/1859 at 10 Ellis st, Peterhead.

      George's parents were William Murrison, a farmer, and Sophia Hutchison
      (no dates known).
      Margaret's parents were Peter McCombie, a crofter, and Isabella Cruden
      (no dates known).

      George and Margaret had the following children (that I know of): Susan
      Murison (seems consistently to have spelt her name with one r) b abt
      1824 in Peterhead, d 8/7/1880 at 4 St Peter St, Peterhead
      William Mur(r)ison b abt 1829, Aberdeenshire.

      On 11/7/1860 in Peterhead, Susan Murison married Andrew Clarke
      Chalmers, Shoemaker, (b abt 1823 in St Fergus, d 26/5/1879 at 8 King
      St Peterhead). They were my G Grandparents. At the time of the
      marriage, he was a widower with six children, and he and Susan had
      three daughters. There is a memorial to them in St Peter's churchyard,
      of which I have a photo.

      Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
      the gaps.

      Mary Barnes (Cremorne, NSW, Australia)
    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
        At 06:43 PM 10/03/2007, you wrote:

        >Hi Elizabeth and Roy,
        >
        >I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
        >spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
        >even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).
        ><SNIP>
        >
        >Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
        >the gaps.

        I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the Murrison part of our
        family. Here is what I have:

        My 3Xgreat grandmother was Margaret Murrison born 6 October 1813,
        parents James Murison c. 1771-1839, Elizabeth Mathew c. 1791-1839.
        They were married 21 Dec 1811 in Cruden, spelling Muirison so that is
        another variation to add to the list!

        She married James Spence on 19 Jan 1833 and I think they had 3
        children - in the 1841 census there is Gordon aged 10 (??), Elizabeth
        aged 7, and James aged 5. Elizabeth was my 2Xgreat grandmother. We
        believe, but I haven't nailed this, that James Spence was dead by
        then - certainly the family story is that she was widowed very early
        on, and said she never married again because she couldn't fancy anyone else!

        Mary, if you send me your email address separately, to
        elisabeth.wilson@..., I can forward you the list of Murrison
        burial records in the Peterhead churchyard. From memory of my visit
        to the old church at Cruden, there were quite a lot buried there as well.

        Best wishes,
        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        Lenah Valley, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
        (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)