Re: Looking for living kin in Peterhead update

  • gillybeanwilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
      Yes Roy, Indeed they are.

      They're my only close relatives on my fathers side. I'm sure there
      are a kazillion distant cousins living on Scotland's northeast coast
      (is that how it's described?) and I'm sure that if I dug into my
      paternal grandmother's family I'd even find someone living closebye
      in Alberta. For now though I'm very happy with this discovery.

      My sisters are going to have fits when I tell them...

      Gillian

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "roy_henderson_1955"
      <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

      > That's the kind of result we all want to achieve Gillian -
      > congratulations! Did they turn out to be the Chisholms in Baylands
      > Crescent as I thought?
      >
      > Roy

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hi Elizabeth and Roy,

        I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
        spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
        even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).

        Here's what I have:
        George Murrison, Weaver, b abt 1790 in Fraserburgh, d 29/12/1863 at 75
        Kirk St, Peterhead.
        Margaret McCombie b abt 1786 in Fraserburgh, married George Murrison on
        12/11/1820 in Peterhead, d 20/12/1859 at 10 Ellis st, Peterhead.

        George's parents were William Murrison, a farmer, and Sophia Hutchison
        (no dates known).
        Margaret's parents were Peter McCombie, a crofter, and Isabella Cruden
        (no dates known).

        George and Margaret had the following children (that I know of): Susan
        Murison (seems consistently to have spelt her name with one r) b abt
        1824 in Peterhead, d 8/7/1880 at 4 St Peter St, Peterhead
        William Mur(r)ison b abt 1829, Aberdeenshire.

        On 11/7/1860 in Peterhead, Susan Murison married Andrew Clarke
        Chalmers, Shoemaker, (b abt 1823 in St Fergus, d 26/5/1879 at 8 King
        St Peterhead). They were my G Grandparents. At the time of the
        marriage, he was a widower with six children, and he and Susan had
        three daughters. There is a memorial to them in St Peter's churchyard,
        of which I have a photo.

        Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
        the gaps.

        Mary Barnes (Cremorne, NSW, Australia)
      • Elisabeth Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
          At 06:43 PM 10/03/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi Elizabeth and Roy,
          >
          >I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
          >spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
          >even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).
          ><SNIP>
          >
          >Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
          >the gaps.

          I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the Murrison part of our
          family. Here is what I have:

          My 3Xgreat grandmother was Margaret Murrison born 6 October 1813,
          parents James Murison c. 1771-1839, Elizabeth Mathew c. 1791-1839.
          They were married 21 Dec 1811 in Cruden, spelling Muirison so that is
          another variation to add to the list!

          She married James Spence on 19 Jan 1833 and I think they had 3
          children - in the 1841 census there is Gordon aged 10 (??), Elizabeth
          aged 7, and James aged 5. Elizabeth was my 2Xgreat grandmother. We
          believe, but I haven't nailed this, that James Spence was dead by
          then - certainly the family story is that she was widowed very early
          on, and said she never married again because she couldn't fancy anyone else!

          Mary, if you send me your email address separately, to
          elisabeth.wilson@..., I can forward you the list of Murrison
          burial records in the Peterhead churchyard. From memory of my visit
          to the old church at Cruden, there were quite a lot buried there as well.

          Best wishes,
          Elisabeth

          Elisabeth Wilson
          Lenah Valley, Tasmania
          SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
          (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)