Re: Looking for living kin in Peterhead update

  • roy_henderson_1955
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
      Hi Elisabeth,

      I'm going to clutch at a straw here and ask a little about your
      Murrison links if I may?

      I have an Ann Murrison born circa 1810 died 17th March 1885 in my tree -
      any connection? One of her sons, Edward Angus was lost at sea on a
      voyage to NZ in 1867 but I haven't been able to get any further
      information on him as yet. Just wondered if there might be a link with
      the NZ Murrison?

      Regards,

      Roy

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Elisabeth Wilson
      <elisabeth.wilson@...> wrote:
      > That is so great Gillian; I remember how I felt when an unknown and
      > very distant Murrison connection emailed me from NZ
      > Elisabeth Wilson
      > Lenah Valley, Tasmania
      > researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden)
      > SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
      > (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)

    • gillybeanwilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
        Yes Roy, Indeed they are.

        They're my only close relatives on my fathers side. I'm sure there
        are a kazillion distant cousins living on Scotland's northeast coast
        (is that how it's described?) and I'm sure that if I dug into my
        paternal grandmother's family I'd even find someone living closebye
        in Alberta. For now though I'm very happy with this discovery.

        My sisters are going to have fits when I tell them...

        Gillian

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "roy_henderson_1955"
        <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

        > That's the kind of result we all want to achieve Gillian -
        > congratulations! Did they turn out to be the Chisholms in Baylands
        > Crescent as I thought?
        >
        > Roy

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
          Hi Elizabeth and Roy,

          I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
          spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
          even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).

          Here's what I have:
          George Murrison, Weaver, b abt 1790 in Fraserburgh, d 29/12/1863 at 75
          Kirk St, Peterhead.
          Margaret McCombie b abt 1786 in Fraserburgh, married George Murrison on
          12/11/1820 in Peterhead, d 20/12/1859 at 10 Ellis st, Peterhead.

          George's parents were William Murrison, a farmer, and Sophia Hutchison
          (no dates known).
          Margaret's parents were Peter McCombie, a crofter, and Isabella Cruden
          (no dates known).

          George and Margaret had the following children (that I know of): Susan
          Murison (seems consistently to have spelt her name with one r) b abt
          1824 in Peterhead, d 8/7/1880 at 4 St Peter St, Peterhead
          William Mur(r)ison b abt 1829, Aberdeenshire.

          On 11/7/1860 in Peterhead, Susan Murison married Andrew Clarke
          Chalmers, Shoemaker, (b abt 1823 in St Fergus, d 26/5/1879 at 8 King
          St Peterhead). They were my G Grandparents. At the time of the
          marriage, he was a widower with six children, and he and Susan had
          three daughters. There is a memorial to them in St Peter's churchyard,
          of which I have a photo.

          Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
          the gaps.

          Mary Barnes (Cremorne, NSW, Australia)
        • Elisabeth Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
            At 06:43 PM 10/03/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi Elizabeth and Roy,
            >
            >I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
            >spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
            >even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).
            ><SNIP>
            >
            >Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
            >the gaps.

            I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the Murrison part of our
            family. Here is what I have:

            My 3Xgreat grandmother was Margaret Murrison born 6 October 1813,
            parents James Murison c. 1771-1839, Elizabeth Mathew c. 1791-1839.
            They were married 21 Dec 1811 in Cruden, spelling Muirison so that is
            another variation to add to the list!

            She married James Spence on 19 Jan 1833 and I think they had 3
            children - in the 1841 census there is Gordon aged 10 (??), Elizabeth
            aged 7, and James aged 5. Elizabeth was my 2Xgreat grandmother. We
            believe, but I haven't nailed this, that James Spence was dead by
            then - certainly the family story is that she was widowed very early
            on, and said she never married again because she couldn't fancy anyone else!

            Mary, if you send me your email address separately, to
            elisabeth.wilson@..., I can forward you the list of Murrison
            burial records in the Peterhead churchyard. From memory of my visit
            to the old church at Cruden, there were quite a lot buried there as well.

            Best wishes,
            Elisabeth

            Elisabeth Wilson
            Lenah Valley, Tasmania