Re: [Peterhead] Looking for living kin in Peterhead update

  • george4705@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
      Gillian writes:
      My hands were shaking when I opened the envelope containing photos of
      my only cousin and her family, plus early photos of my father and
      grandmother.

      It's a little overwhelming

      Och Gillian that is so awesome...everyone on the board shares in your
      excitment when you make a great connection like you did. What a great new adventure
      lays before you now.

      geordie

    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
        At 10:08 AM 10/03/2007, Gillian wrote:

        >My hands were shaking when I opened the envelope containing photos
        >of my only cousin and her family, plus early photos of my father and
        >grandmother.
        That is so great Gillian; I remember how I felt when an unknown and
        very distant Murrison connection emailed me from NZ after seeing my
        name and interests on this list and passed on to me cemetery lists
        from a third cousin of his in Canada which identified my 3xgreat
        grandmother's grave, age etc. This would have been impossible without
        the Internet. This group is one of the most supportive I belong to!

        Talking of which, I will be visiting the UK in June/July and going to
        Peterhead. If anyone would like me to take a photograph of a
        particular house (other sites are available on the Internet one way
        or another) and it's not too time-consuming to find it, I'd be happy
        to take a list and send you the photo digitally when I get back. All
        care no responsibility etc. I will probably be going to Cruden and
        Longhaven also.

        Best wishes,
        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        Lenah Valley, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
        (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
      • roy_henderson_1955
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
          That's the kind of result we all want to achieve Gillian -
          congratulations! Did they turn out to be the Chisholms in Baylands
          Crescent as I thought?

          Roy

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "gillybeanwilson" <gillybean58@...>
          wrote:

          > Thankyou everyone for your help and encouragement in my search for
          > kin.
          >
          > I sent off a letter of introduction to the Chisholms of Peterhead
          and
          > received in return an ever expanding extended family whom I never
          knew
          > existed.
          >
          > My hands were shaking when I opened the envelope containing photos
          of
          > my only cousin and her family, plus early photos of my father and
          > grandmother.
          >
          > It's a little overwhelming...
          >
          > All the best
          >
          > Gillian Wilson

        • roy_henderson_1955
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
            Hi Elisabeth,

            I'm going to clutch at a straw here and ask a little about your
            Murrison links if I may?

            I have an Ann Murrison born circa 1810 died 17th March 1885 in my tree -
            any connection? One of her sons, Edward Angus was lost at sea on a
            voyage to NZ in 1867 but I haven't been able to get any further
            information on him as yet. Just wondered if there might be a link with
            the NZ Murrison?

            Regards,

            Roy

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Elisabeth Wilson
            <elisabeth.wilson@...> wrote:
            > That is so great Gillian; I remember how I felt when an unknown and
            > very distant Murrison connection emailed me from NZ
            > Elisabeth Wilson
            > Lenah Valley, Tasmania
            > researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden)
            > SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
            > (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)

          • gillybeanwilson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
              Yes Roy, Indeed they are.

              They're my only close relatives on my fathers side. I'm sure there
              are a kazillion distant cousins living on Scotland's northeast coast
              (is that how it's described?) and I'm sure that if I dug into my
              paternal grandmother's family I'd even find someone living closebye
              in Alberta. For now though I'm very happy with this discovery.

              My sisters are going to have fits when I tell them...

              Gillian

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "roy_henderson_1955"
              <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

              > That's the kind of result we all want to achieve Gillian -
              > congratulations! Did they turn out to be the Chisholms in Baylands
              > Crescent as I thought?
              >
              > Roy

            • Mary Barnes
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
                Hi Elizabeth and Roy,

                I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
                spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
                even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).

                Here's what I have:
                George Murrison, Weaver, b abt 1790 in Fraserburgh, d 29/12/1863 at 75
                Kirk St, Peterhead.
                Margaret McCombie b abt 1786 in Fraserburgh, married George Murrison on
                12/11/1820 in Peterhead, d 20/12/1859 at 10 Ellis st, Peterhead.

                George's parents were William Murrison, a farmer, and Sophia Hutchison
                (no dates known).
                Margaret's parents were Peter McCombie, a crofter, and Isabella Cruden
                (no dates known).

                George and Margaret had the following children (that I know of): Susan
                Murison (seems consistently to have spelt her name with one r) b abt
                1824 in Peterhead, d 8/7/1880 at 4 St Peter St, Peterhead
                William Mur(r)ison b abt 1829, Aberdeenshire.

                On 11/7/1860 in Peterhead, Susan Murison married Andrew Clarke
                Chalmers, Shoemaker, (b abt 1823 in St Fergus, d 26/5/1879 at 8 King
                St Peterhead). They were my G Grandparents. At the time of the
                marriage, he was a widower with six children, and he and Susan had
                three daughters. There is a memorial to them in St Peter's churchyard,
                of which I have a photo.

                Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
                the gaps.

                Mary Barnes (Cremorne, NSW, Australia)
              • Elisabeth Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
                  At 06:43 PM 10/03/2007, you wrote:

                  >Hi Elizabeth and Roy,
                  >
                  >I too have Murrisons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but the
                  >spelling of the name varies between different documents (and sometimes
                  >even within a single document - sometimes Murrison, sometimes Murison).
                  ><SNIP>
                  >
                  >Does this fit with what anyone else knows? I'd love to fill in some of
                  >the gaps.

                  I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the Murrison part of our
                  family. Here is what I have:

                  My 3Xgreat grandmother was Margaret Murrison born 6 October 1813,
                  parents James Murison c. 1771-1839, Elizabeth Mathew c. 1791-1839.
                  They were married 21 Dec 1811 in Cruden, spelling Muirison so that is
                  another variation to add to the list!

                  She married James Spence on 19 Jan 1833 and I think they had 3
                  children - in the 1841 census there is Gordon aged 10 (??), Elizabeth
                  aged 7, and James aged 5. Elizabeth was my 2Xgreat grandmother. We
                  believe, but I haven't nailed this, that James Spence was dead by
                  then - certainly the family story is that she was widowed very early
                  on, and said she never married again because she couldn't fancy anyone else!

                  Mary, if you send me your email address separately, to
                  elisabeth.wilson@..., I can forward you the list of Murrison
                  burial records in the Peterhead churchyard. From memory of my visit
                  to the old church at Cruden, there were quite a lot buried there as well.