Re: William Salmon & Jane McIntosh

  • yetidavidson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
      From the Buchan Observer, 1919 (25th Feb?):

      "Funeral of Capt. William Salmon, Peterhead

      The funeral of Captain William Salmon, retired shipmaster, took place
      on Wednesday from Faichfield House, Longside, to Peterhead
      Cemetery. There was a large attendance of seafaring men and others,
      the chief mourners being Mr. John Murray, draughtsman, Aberdeen; Mr.
      Edward Murray, Faichfield House; Mr. Peter Reid, Peterhead; and
      Police Sergt. Fraser, Fraserburgh. Appropriate services were
      conducted at Faichfield House and at the grave by the Rev. Frank W.
      Rowley, Methodist Church, Peterhead"

      Ian Davidson

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Kennedy"
      <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > The following taken from Constitution Street Cemetery, Peterhead,
      may be of some help to your research:

      > Erected by William Salmon, Shipmaster, Peterhead, in loving
      remembrance of his father, James Salmon, Seaman, who died Feby. 25th
      1878, aged 72 years. Also of his sister Margaret Salmon, who died
      June 12th 1857, aged 11 years. Margaret Alexander, wife of the above
      James Salmon, who died 14th March 1888, aged 85 years. Also Jane
      McIntosh, wife of the above William Salmon, died 7th August 1902,
      aged 68 years. And the above William Salmon, died 15th Feby., 1919,
      in his 86th year.

      > Alison

      David
      > Alistair Murray and although I have a house in Lincolnshire I
      work
      > and spend most of my time in the middle east (Oman) and so all my
      > research is being carried out over the net.
      >
      > So who am I looking for, from my fathers (deceased) own records I
      > have the following about my direct paternal descendants, all
      > Peterhead born and all seamen:
      >
      > Great grandfather: John Murray 1854-1937 married 1882 to Jane
      > McIntosh 1853-1903;
      >
      > g g grandfather: John Murray (captain) b. about 1823 married 1856
      > Margaret Skene 1823-1885
      >
      > g g g grandfather: Alexander Murray (captain) b.about 1799.
      >
      > g g g g grandfather: either JB or JR Murray (captain) b. about
      1768.

      > I have most information about my great grandfathers family, and a
      > small amount of info about John Murray and Margaret Skene,
      although
      > at home awaiting my next trip to the UK I have their marriage
      > register entry which I hope will give me the definite next names
      in
      > the tree.
      > I have conflicting information for the wife of Alexander (1799)
      taken
      > from various birth/death/marriage entries, being either a
      Margaret or
      > a Jannet Phillips but I can find no trace of a marriage entry for
      > either, they also have at least 1 more son 'Alexander' found from
      > another family members death registry entry.
      >
      > So far:
      >
      > JB Murray or JR Murray c1768
      >

      > Alexander Murray c1799 and Margaret or Jannet Phillips
      >
      > Children
      > John Murray c1823
      > Alexander Murray c1800's
      >

      > John Murray c1823 and Margaret Skene 1885-1823 married 24/9/1846
      St.
      > Nicholas Aberdeen
      >
      > Children
      > John Murray 24/5/1854 - 5/4/1937
      > William Salmon Murray 9/1/1860 - 10/1/1860 - Peterhead
      > Alexander Murray 29/7/1862 - 1/8/1862 - Peterhead
      >

      > John Murray 1854-1937 and Jane mcIntosh 1853-1903 married cafe
      > Shiprow, Aberdeen
      >
      > Children
      > William Salmon Murray 1884-1955 - Dundee
      > John Murray 1886-1955 - Dundee (My Grandfather)
      > Angus McIntosh Murray 1888-???? Aberdeen
      > Mary Ann McIntosh Murray 1891-???? Torry
      > Nellie Murray 1895-???? Torry
      > Isabella Davidson Murray 1897-???? Torry
      >
      > So information / birth, death and marriage dates are what I am
      > looking for JB or JR Murray c1768, Alexander Murray c1799 and
      John
      > Murray c1823.
      >
      > Hopefully once I get these sorted out I will be able to make the
      > definite connection which I know exists between the above
      families
      > and, Alexander Murray / Janet Robertson and Alexander D Murray /
      > Helen Thom families for which I have most information.
      >
      > I also know due to the amount of models and paintings that we
      have in
      > the family that they were heavily involved in the whaling trade
      out
      > of Peterhead 1700's - 1800's.
      >
      > Here's hoping someone can help me pin these down.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Colin Murray

      > To unsubscribe send a messaged to: Peterhead-
      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      home insurance company American family home owner insurance
      > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale
      Family home finance

      of Service.

    • ugiepark1
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        Further to Ian Davidson's recent posting :

        From the Buchan Observer, Tuesday February 18th.1919

        "A Veteran Whaling Master"

        By the death at Faichfield, Longside, on Saturday of Captain William
        Salmon, another gap has been made in the thin ranks of Peterhead's
        whaling masters. Born at Peterhead eighty-six years ago, Captain
        Salmon served his apprenticeship as a boatbuilder, but afterwards he
        decided to follow a seafaring career and in the sea's hardest school
        of apprenticeship – the Arctic. He sailed to Greenland in the coaster
        Hamilton Ross, and afterwards served in the Undaunted under Captain
        Walker. In 1860 he joined the whaler Brilliant, and sailed in her for
        a year as second mate. Thereafter he sailed from Aberdeen in the
        Sophia and wintered in the Straits for about a twelvemonth. On his
        return he became master of the Peterhead brig Alert, which he took to
        the Straits several times and wintered there. His next vessel was the
        bargue Melinka, which was principally engaged in the Greenland seal
        fishing. He next took charge of the Jan Main, in which he sailed out
        of Peterhead for five years. This vessel was afterwards sold to a
        Dundee firm, but Captain Salmon continued to sail with her from
        Dundee until he took command of the Star, a Dundee bargue which was
        wrecked at Cumberland Gulf. About thirty-three years ago, Captain
        Salmon retired from a seafaring life, and during the past few years
        resided at Faichfield, Longside. His calling did not permit him to
        take an active part in the public life of the town, but he was for a
        period a Feuar's Manager. He was a devoted member of Peterhead
        Methodist Church, which he attended regularly as long as his health
        and strength permitted. He was of a most kindly disposition, and was
        highly respected. His wife predeceased him about fifteen years ago.

        Alex Ritchie