Robertson, Gordon, Sinclair, Davidson, Ingram, Renny, Walker , Bruce, Pirie.

  • maymyo25
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      I have been researching my husband's family and recently I think I
      have at last found the `Joseph' who was his GGG Grandfather. Joseph
      was the father of George Robertson. On George's wedding certificate
      he names as his father Joseph Robertson, Shipwright. In the 1851
      Census George has as his birthplace Peterhead and on his death
      certificate he is shown as dying age 70 in 1878 which means he was
      born approximately in 1808.

      I haven't until now been able to find a death record for Joseph
      although I did find one for Isabella Walker in 1863 in Peterhead and
      her father is shown as Joseph Robertson, Ships carpenter, (dead) and
      her mother as Jessie Stronach, (dead). Recently I was sent
      information from the ANESFHS which shows a Joseph Robertson, husband
      of Janet Stronach buried in St Peter's Peterhead in 1844 age 84, and
      also Janet(Jessie),in 1846 age 80. They are shown on the 1841 census
      and Joseph is a block maker and spirit dealer.

      I have found other references that may relate to Joseph and possibly
      a brother or son William in Pigot's Directory.

      PETERHEAD - Pigot's Directory of 1825/26

      TAVERNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES.
      Robertson Jos. Keith-Inch

      MAST, BLOCK, AND PUMP MAKERS.
      Robertson Wm. Keith-Inch

      I have also found a reference to a christening which links the names
      of Robertson and Walker:
      6-12-1829
      Samuel Laughton, sailor in Peterhead, a son Samuel
      Witnesses, Joseph Robertson, John Walker

      George, Joseph's son, died in London and I have extensive records
      from George onwards. Does anyone recognise any of the above? George
      Robertson's son, John, married Elizabeth Sinclair Gordon, who was
      born in Peterhead on 16 Oct 1850, daughter of William Gordon and Mary
      Ann Davidson. William Gordon was the son of Charles, who married
      Elizabeth Sinclair. Charles was the son of William Gordon/Jean Renny,
      Rosehearty.

      The only reference I can find of a Joseph Robertson/Janet Stronach
      marriage is on 15th September 1795 in Speymouth, Moray.

      Names (Scotland) in the family are PIRIE, SINCLAIR, RENNY/RENNIE,
      GORDON, INGRAM, DAVIDSON, BRUCE, and places are Pitsligo, Rosehearty,
      Fraserburgh and Peterhead.

      In the 1901 census for East Ham, Essex, John Robertson, Joseph's
      grandson has a visitor, Elizabeth Shewan, age 62 from Scotland.
      (Peterhead?)

      Does anyone recognise any of this? I would be grateful for any
      information particularly about Joseph, Janet and their children.

      Elizabeth Robertson.
    • carolynmch
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2007
        Hello Elizabeth
        Your post has added to my suspicions that Joseph Robertson, born
        about 1760 is my GGGGG grandfather.

        My connection to the Robertson family is through Samuel Laughton, a
        sailor born in Stromness, Orkney who married Mary Robertson in
        Peterhead on 14/12/1823.
        From census records, Mary Robertson's date of birth appears to be
        about 1801.

        Samuel and Mary appear to have had three children in Peterhead.
        Parish Records show:-
        7-10-1827 ( it is wrongly transcribed as 1815) Leighton. Samuel,
        sailor in Peterhead, a daughter Janet. Witnesses: - James and George
        Robertson.

        6-12-1829 a son Samuel that you know about.

        10-6-1832 Liston. Samuel seaman in Peterhead, a daughter Isabella.
        Witnesses: - Robert Millar and William Robertson

        Samuel Leighton and Robert Robertson can also be found as witnesses
        at the Christening on 20-1-1828 of John, Son of William Robertson,
        blockmaker in Peterhead.

        (Laughton is actually pronounced "Lighten" leading to frequent
        misspellings of the name in addition to the name being misheard,
        possibly due to the different dialects.)

        Between 1832 and the 1841 English Census, the Laughtons moved to
        Tynemouth where Samuel continued to work as a mariner. Samuel and
        Mary had a further three children: - George, Mary and Elizabeth.
        Samuel and Mary's daughter Janet is missing from their household in
        the 1841 English Census and it seems possible that although her age
        is a bit out, she is the Janet Leighton in the household of Elizabeth
        Robertson, a Publican living at Shiprow, Peterhead in the 1841
        Scottish Census.

        Samuel Laughton Died June Quarter 1848 and Mary in Sept Quarter 1849,
        both in Tynemouth

        Also in the 1841 Tynemouth Census is Mary Robertson from Peterhead
        and her children: - Joseph, John, Sarah, James, Frederick and George,
        all born in Peterhead. There is no male head of household so it is
        unclear whether Mary was already a widow or if her husband was at
        sea. She was however a widow by 1851.
        This Robertson family were very closely linked to the Laughtons
        during their time in England and I suspect that Mary Robertson was
        the sister- in- law of Mary Laughton nee Robertson. From the 1851
        Census it appears that Mary Robertson took-in at least one of the
        Laughton children (Elizabeth born 1846) when they were orphaned in
        1849.
        The most likely marriage to link to Mary Robertson is that of Joseph
        Robertson, a carpenter in Peterhead who married Mary Ogston on
        23.12.1821.
        I hope this helps.
        Regards
        Carolyn