Gordon's Mill

  • george4705@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
      My 5x g Grandfather James Hay was listed on OPR 4/22/1795 as follows:

      James Hay a Miller at Gordons Mill and his spouse Anne Abell
      had a son baptized by Mr(?) Skepe(?) Ogilvy minister of Old Machar
      And named John Hay witnesses John Fowler (?) and William Melvin.

      Does anyon have any knowledge of Gordons Mill or Minister Ogilvy of Old
      Machar? Was this Church of Scotland?

      Thank yo in advance

      george

    • MARGIE DAVIDSON
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2007
        Not sure on this one but have a feeling that Gordon's Mill was the old name for the Crombie mill down at Grandholm- beside the Crombie football piches! - many motoriss used the road as a "rat run" in the mornings before it was closed when the new houses were built on the factory site. It is in Bridge of Don.

        This is a reoolection fro the di and distant past so could be very very wrong,

        Margie

        Margie

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2007
          Hi George,

          Gordon's Mill was in Old Aberdeen. If you look it up on a map (e.g.
          Google Maps UK <http://maps.google.co.uk/> you will see Gordon's Mills
          Road running alongside the River Don, not far from St Machar's
          Cathedral.

          Old Machar parish seems to have comprised the northern part of
          Aberdeen, north of St Nicholas parish, which occupied what is now the
          Central business District of Aberdeen. It presumably is, or was, the
          parish associated with St Machar's Catherdral. The story I was told as
          a child was that St Machar was sent out from Ireland by St Columba, his
          mission to bring Christianity to the Scots, and told to cross Scotland
          until he came to a river shaped like a shepherd's crook, and there
          build his church. If you look at the map, you will see that the Don is
          indeed shaped like a shepherd's crook just at that point.

          And yes, it was and is Church of Scotland. Whenever a parish is
          mentioned in these old records it refers to a Church of Scotland
          parish.

          Mary Barnes
          Sydney, Australia (but formerly from Aberdeen)
          Email: marysb@...

          Dr Mary Barnes
          1 Little Wonga Road
          Cremorne
          NSW 2090
          Australia
          Email: marysb@...
          Phone: (02) 9908 3795
        • Denise Tucceri
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2007
            Yes, it's true, Gordons Mill was the name of the Crombie woolen mill. My
            Mum and most of her family worked at Grandholm for years and for a couple of
            years before we left for Canada, we lived just up the street from the little
            foot bridge that crossed the River Don over to Grandholm. It was really sad
            to see it gone when I went home to Aberdeen last summer.

            Free Alerts�: Be smart - let your information find you�!
            http://alerts.live.com/Alerts/Default.aspx