Re: [Peterhead] william gray 1779 to 1864

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 7:12 PM
      Hi Gwen,
      If you subscribe to;
      mariners-l-request@...

      That is a site for anything to do with ships, sailors, etc, the people on the site are very helpful.

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 7:38 PM
        Hi Gwen,
        Catherine again,
        I had a look on Ancestry, but only found a Thomas Gray as a witness to other Gray baptism entries, but in the time limit Thomas would have been alive, this William Gray could be a brother, nephew, eg;

        William Gray a dau Agnes, 20 Jan 1816
        witnesses Thomas Gray and John Murdoch

        William Gray a dau Isabella, 3 Sept 1812
        witnesses William Robertson and Thomas Gray

        and another Shipmaster;
        10 Aug 1817 Robert Duncan, Shipmaster in Peterhead
        a son William
        witnesses William Robertson and Thomas Gray

        If you are near a Mormon church that has a Family history library you could hire the Peterhead OPR film and probably find more info on Thomas and Isabella in the way of baptims, that's if they had any children.

        Good luck,
        Catherine

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1 9:44 PM
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

          > trying to pick up research on my ancestor william gray shipmaster
          > peterhead 1778 to 1864 have all info on his wife and children and
          > descendants
          > but having a difficult time going further back
          > father is thomas gray bc 1743 to 1829 peterhead

          > Can't help you with your 1778 search but wondering if you have a
          copy of The
          > Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland where the
          Gray family
          > is quite well documented
          >
          > The Whaling Years : Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland,
          Dianne
          > Sutherland, University of Aberdeen - 0906265177

          thanx george but unfortunately i think the grays documented in this
          are nothing to do with my lot
          mine were as far as i can tell trading ship shipmasters
          not whaling i dont think
          gwen

          > george

        • gyphania
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15 2:43 PM
            william gray b poss cruden or peterhead 1779 married christian sangster
            1798 d peterhead 1864
            parents thomas gray and isabella anderson
            cant get any further back then this no matter how i try
            can anyone assist
            would love to find thomas and isabellas other issue
            cant even find their marriage
            have children of william and christian but no descendants other than
            their immediate issue
            gwen