[Peterhead] william gray 1779 to 1864

  • george4705@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      trying to pick up research on my ancestor william gray shipmaster
      peterhead 1778 to 1864 have all info on his wife and children and
      descendants
      but having a difficult time going further back
      father is thomas gray bc 1743 to 1829 peterhead
      Can't help you with your 1778 search but wondering if you have a copy of The
      Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland where the Gray family
      is quite well documented

      The Whaling Years : Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland, Dianne
      Sutherland, University of Aberdeen - 0906265177

      george

    • Cci
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi Gwen,
        If you subscribe to;
        mariners-l-request@...

        That is a site for anything to do with ships, sailors, etc, the people on the site are very helpful.

        Catherine

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi Gwen,
          Catherine again,
          I had a look on Ancestry, but only found a Thomas Gray as a witness to other Gray baptism entries, but in the time limit Thomas would have been alive, this William Gray could be a brother, nephew, eg;

          William Gray a dau Agnes, 20 Jan 1816
          witnesses Thomas Gray and John Murdoch

          William Gray a dau Isabella, 3 Sept 1812
          witnesses William Robertson and Thomas Gray

          and another Shipmaster;
          10 Aug 1817 Robert Duncan, Shipmaster in Peterhead
          a son William
          witnesses William Robertson and Thomas Gray

          If you are near a Mormon church that has a Family history library you could hire the Peterhead OPR film and probably find more info on Thomas and Isabella in the way of baptims, that's if they had any children.

          Good luck,
          Catherine

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

            > trying to pick up research on my ancestor william gray shipmaster
            > peterhead 1778 to 1864 have all info on his wife and children and
            > descendants
            > but having a difficult time going further back
            > father is thomas gray bc 1743 to 1829 peterhead

            > Can't help you with your 1778 search but wondering if you have a
            copy of The
            > Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland where the
            Gray family
            > is quite well documented
            >
            > The Whaling Years : Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland,
            Dianne
            > Sutherland, University of Aberdeen - 0906265177

            thanx george but unfortunately i think the grays documented in this
            are nothing to do with my lot
            mine were as far as i can tell trading ship shipmasters
            not whaling i dont think
            gwen

            > george

          • gyphania
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
              william gray b poss cruden or peterhead 1779 married christian sangster
              1798 d peterhead 1864
              parents thomas gray and isabella anderson
              cant get any further back then this no matter how i try
              can anyone assist
              would love to find thomas and isabellas other issue
              cant even find their marriage
              have children of william and christian but no descendants other than
              their immediate issue
              gwen