william gray 1779 to 1864

  • gyphania
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      trying to pick up research on my ancestor william gray shipmaster
      peterhead
      1778 to 1864 have all info on his wife and children and descendants
      but having a difficult time going further back
      father is thomas gray bc 1743 to 1829 peterhead
      his mother isabella anderson but cant find marriage for thomas and
      isabella or who were the other children
      and cant work out thomas parentage
      any guidance or assistance to kick of my research again would b
      gratefully appreciated
      gwen
      ps just went over some notes in williams will he mentions shares in
      peterhead whale and seal fishing company off castle st peterhead, also
      shares in a ship called *Dublin*
      his son thomas was a shipmaster of his own vessell called the *Warbler*
      anyone know where i can find more info maybe might lead me to ancestry
      gwen
    • george4705@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        trying to pick up research on my ancestor william gray shipmaster
        peterhead 1778 to 1864 have all info on his wife and children and
        descendants
        but having a difficult time going further back
        father is thomas gray bc 1743 to 1829 peterhead
        Can't help you with your 1778 search but wondering if you have a copy of The
        Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland where the Gray family
        is quite well documented

        The Whaling Years : Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland, Dianne
        Sutherland, University of Aberdeen - 0906265177

        george

      • Cci
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi Gwen,
          If you subscribe to;
          mariners-l-request@...

          That is a site for anything to do with ships, sailors, etc, the people on the site are very helpful.

          Catherine

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hi Gwen,
            Catherine again,
            I had a look on Ancestry, but only found a Thomas Gray as a witness to other Gray baptism entries, but in the time limit Thomas would have been alive, this William Gray could be a brother, nephew, eg;

            William Gray a dau Agnes, 20 Jan 1816
            witnesses Thomas Gray and John Murdoch

            William Gray a dau Isabella, 3 Sept 1812
            witnesses William Robertson and Thomas Gray

            and another Shipmaster;
            10 Aug 1817 Robert Duncan, Shipmaster in Peterhead
            a son William
            witnesses William Robertson and Thomas Gray

            If you are near a Mormon church that has a Family history library you could hire the Peterhead OPR film and probably find more info on Thomas and Isabella in the way of baptims, that's if they had any children.

            Good luck,
            Catherine

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, george4705@... wrote:

              > trying to pick up research on my ancestor william gray shipmaster
              > peterhead 1778 to 1864 have all info on his wife and children and
              > descendants
              > but having a difficult time going further back
              > father is thomas gray bc 1743 to 1829 peterhead

              > Can't help you with your 1778 search but wondering if you have a
              copy of The
              > Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland where the
              Gray family
              > is quite well documented
              >
              > The Whaling Years : Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland,
              Dianne
              > Sutherland, University of Aberdeen - 0906265177

              thanx george but unfortunately i think the grays documented in this
              are nothing to do with my lot
              mine were as far as i can tell trading ship shipmasters
              not whaling i dont think
              gwen

              > george

            • gyphania
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
                william gray b poss cruden or peterhead 1779 married christian sangster
                1798 d peterhead 1864
                parents thomas gray and isabella anderson
                cant get any further back then this no matter how i try
                can anyone assist
                would love to find thomas and isabellas other issue
                cant even find their marriage
                have children of william and christian but no descendants other than
                their immediate issue
                gwen