Stephen family

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2007
      Steve Broekmann asked me which Stephen family I was researching.
      I am well aware how many Stephens there were in Peterhead, and especially in Boddam.
      So here's some more data.

      My Jane Stephen was born ca 1823. My Jane Stephen was born ca 1823 in Peterhead.
      The register entry for her marriage reads (it's very indistinct but this is the best I can do):
      On 20/12/1857 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Peterhead, marriage after Banns
      … according to the forms of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
      Matthew Nicol, age 47, of 17 Jamaica Street, Peterhead, seaman,
      son of William Nicol, tailor and Mary Burns.
      Jean Stephen, age 34, of 40 Queen Street, Peterhead, spinster,
      daughter of Robert Stephen, seaman, and Jane Davidson.
      Witnesses Robert Stephen and James Turner.

      From the banns & marriages index (GROS ref. 232/00 0003):
      Robert Stephen married Janet Davidson on 13/10/1822.

      In the 1841 and 1851 censuses, I find a Robert Stephen with wife Jean in Boddam. Ages
      were 49 and 47 in 1851. I don't know if this is the correct family - they had a daughter
      Jean, but she was only 13 in 1841. In 1851, she is not listed with the family. Most likely
      she had left home by then, but she could have died.

      In 1851, a Jeannie Stephen age 27 was a house servant in the home of John Birnie,
      Merchant clothier of Chapel Street. Again, I don't know if this is my Jane Stephen. I note
      that the names Jean, Jane, Jeannie and Janet seem to be almost interchangeable.

      Can anyone help?

      Mary Barnes