Seamen's records

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 1999
      Dear Wade,

      I finally gave up waiting for the LDS film covering Peter Leslie's
      records, and asked an overseas researcher to look him up in London for
      me, which he did, so I now know Peter's ticket number, and have a
      physical description of him. Now a couple of queries have arisen:

      1) As I have been unable to find a death record for Peter (he was
      deceased by 1865), I cannot prove who his parents were. My friend
      suggested I searched the Register of Wages and Effects of Deceased
      Seamen in BT153 in case he had died at sea, and this I tried to do, but,
      searching through the Locality Index at my local LDS Library, could not
      find BT153 listed. I don't supppose you would happen to know the film
      number, would you?

      2) Peter became a Mate in 1851. Which would be better to search, BT125
      or BT126, as they seem to cover the same years? As it takes over 6
      months to order in a film here, I don't want to waste time getting the
      wrong ones.

      Thanks for your help,
      Regards,
      Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 1999
        Hi Judy,

        Judy Hand wrote:

        > I finally gave up waiting for the LDS film covering Peter Leslie's
        > records, and asked an overseas researcher to look him up in London for
        > me, which he did, so I now know Peter's ticket number, and have a
        > physical description of him. Now a couple of queries have arisen:

        Could you let me know the information from the ticket please, I would
        like to add it to the database I have for Peterhead Seaman. Was any
        information recorded on the side in the columns under the years ie.
        letters and numbers ? This is helpful when searching for crew
        agreemnets, if recorded.

        > 1) As I have been unable to find a death record for Peter (he was
        > deceased by 1865), I cannot prove who his parents were. My friend
        > suggested I searched the Register of Wages and Effects of Deceased
        > Seamen in BT153 in case he had died at sea, and this I tried to do, but,
        > searching through the Locality Index at my local LDS Library, could not
        > find BT153 listed. I don't supppose you would happen to know the film
        > number, would you?

        I haven't seen them in the Locality Catalogue. How do you know that he
        died at sea? I have found deaths at sea being recorded in Peterhead
        when the boat returns to Port. You would need to look at BT154 Indexes
        to Seamen's Names, to get the number of the pages in the registers in
        BT153.

        > 2) Peter became a Mate in 1851. Which would be better to search, BT125
        > or BT126, as they seem to cover the same years? As it takes over 6
        > months to order in a film here, I don't want to waste time getting the
        > wrong ones.

        Have these been filmed ? Do you realise that the ticket number for mate
        and masters are different from the ticket number of registered seaman ?
        Which is why I would suggest that you look at BT127 Index to Registers
        of Certificates of Competency and Services, Masters and Mates, Home and
        Foreign Trade (1845-1894).

        Regards, Wade.
      • Judy Hand
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 1999
          Dear Wade,

          Thank you very much for your detailed reply to my queries. You ask how
          do I know that Peter Leslie died at sea, and the answer if, of course,
          that I don't - but I just can't find him anywhere else! I can't find
          him in Scots Origins, although looking through my printouts I just could
          have missed a year or two, so will check it again. He doesn't turn up
          on your Death or Lair records, and he obviously died between 1851, when
          he was elevated from seaman to mate, and 1865, when his son married.
          I've just finished reading a classic book on "Old Whaling Days" (he was
          a seaman harpooner) which describes some terrible calamaties, and he
          might have been caught up in one of these, as it was a dangerous life.
          I have ordered in the 1861 census of Peterhead to try and narrow down
          his date of death, but it hasn't arrived.

          I should have realised that not all the BT's had been filmed, which is
          why I couldn't find them. And no, I hadn't stopped to think about
          whether his seaman's ticket number would be the same as his mate's
          ticket number. I am going to be in Melbourne two weekends from now, but
          only for the weekend, unfortunately. Would the State Library have
          these Masters and Mates films on the shelves, as they do in Sydney? I
          could be up there at opening time on the Saturday morning!

          What information would you like from his seaman's ticket for your
          database? His number was 131190, born at Peterhead, first went to sea
          as an apprentice in February, 1822, the ticket was issued at Peterhead
          on 16 December, 1844 when he was 35 years old. Peter was born on 6
          August, 1809, he had not been in Foreign Service and he could write.The
          voyages listed cover the period 1845 - 1851, but the details are all
          numbers, and not ship's names. If this isn't exactly what you want,
          please let me know.

          In the meantime, I will take your advice, and order in BT127, assuming
          it has been filmed. Thanks again for your time and patience.

          Regards,
          Judy Hand
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22, 1999
            Hi Judy,

            Judy Hand wrote:

            > that I don't - but I just can't find him anywhere else! I can't find
            > him in Scots Origins, although looking through my printouts I just could
            > have missed a year or two, so will check it again. He doesn't turn up
            > on your Death or Lair records, and he obviously died between 1851, when

            Might have died outside of Scotland and remember I only have a small
            percentage of lair records for Peterhead.

            > ticket number. I am going to be in Melbourne two weekends from now, but
            > only for the weekend, unfortunately. Would the State Library have
            > these Masters and Mates films on the shelves, as they do in Sydney?

            Actually I'm note sure. I know they have Lloyd's Ship records on
            microfiche.

            > What information would you like from his seaman's ticket for your
            > database?

            All the information, including the physical description.

            >The voyages listed cover the period 1845 - 1851, but the details are all
            > numbers, and not ship's names.

            If you tell me the numbers I might be able to help with what crew
            agreements these will lead you to.

            Regards, Wade.
          • Judy Hand
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 1999
              Dear Wade

              Thank you so much for replying to me email. I will send you the details
              I have been given regarding Peter Leslie's seaman's record, but I'm
              running out of time just now, so will send them in about 10 days or so,
              if that is OK.

              If you could interpret this information (I can make out some if it, but
              not all) that would be a great help.

              Best wishes,
              Judy Hand
            • Judy Hand
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 14, 1999
                I�m sorry I am running a week behind schedule, but the good news is that
                I got the information before I got the �flu, so here we go:

                These entries are all on LDS Film 1482548, being BT113/57-58

                For Val Lowrie

                No. 114206
                James Anderson Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeenshire
                Date of Birth: 14 September, 1821 Capacity: Cooper Height: 5ft 5 �
                ins
                Hair: Black Complexion: Dark Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                First went to sea as: Apprentice In the Year: 1835
                Served in the Royal Navy: 9 weeks
                Been in Foreign Service: No
                When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
                Age when ticketed: 24 Can write: Yes

                Please note that the above entry is the only one which had a positive
                response to the question "Has served in the Royal Navy?" - all the
                others said "No", and none of them had ever been in Foreign service, so
                I will leave these two questions out.

                For Wade

                No. 114211
                James Buchan Born at: St. Combs County: Aberdeenshire
                Date of Birth: 15 April, 1826 Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 6 � ins
                Hair: Light Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
                First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1837
                When unemployed resides at: St. Combs
                Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1945
                Age when ticketed: 19 Can write: Yes

                No: 114213
                Alexander Bruce Born at: St. Combs County: A/deen
                Date of Birth: 17 March 1827 Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 5 � ins
                Hair: Light Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                First went to sea as: Fisherman In the Year: 1837
                When unemployed resides at: St. Combs
                Issued at: A/deen On: 4 March, 1845
                Age when ticketed: 18 Can write: Yes

                For Wade and Bruce Williams

                No. 114216
                Robert Reid
                Born at: Kirkwall County: Orkney Date of Birth: 5 June, 1802
                Capacity: Cook Height: 5ft 7ins
                Hair: Brown Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
                First went to sea as: Cook In the year: 1840
                When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                Issued at: A/deen On: 4 March, 1845
                Age when ticketed: 43 Can write: Yes

                For Sharon Inkster

                No. 114229
                John Robertson
                Born at: Peterhead County: A/deen Date of Birth: 18 August, 1798
                Capacity: Carpenter Height 6ft 3 � ins (This is not a typing error, he
                really was this tall!)
                Hair: Brown Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                First went to sea as: Carpenter: In the year: 1821
                When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                Issued at: A/deen On: 5 March, 1845
                Age when ticketed: 47 Can write: Yes

                For Alex Ritchie

                No. 114238
                Alexander Willox
                Born at: Peterhead County: A/deen Date of Birth: 15 July, 1824
                Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 6ins Hair: Black
                Complexion: Sallow Eyes: Grey Marks No
                First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1840
                When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                Issued at A/deen On:6 March, 1845
                Age when ticketed: 21 Can write: Yes

                For Susan Fairchild and Betty Holmes

                No. 114248
                Robert Ogston
                Born at: Peterhead County: A/deen Date of Birth: 24 July 1831
                Capacity: Apprentice Height: 4ft 10 ins Hair: Lt. Red
                Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
                First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: (this was left blank)
                When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                Issued at: A/deen On: 7 March, 1845
                Age when ticketed: 14 Can write: Yes
              • Judy Hand
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 1999
                  For Betty Holmes, Bruce Williams, Alex Ritchie and Wade Buchan

                  No. 114258
                  James Reid
                  Born at: New Spynie County: Murray Date of birth: 24 October, 1797
                  Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5ins Hair: Brown
                  Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1838
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at: Peterhead On; 20 March 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 48 Can write: Yes

                  (I don�t know the area - it looked like New Spynie!)

                  For Val Lowrie

                  No. 114261
                  James Davidson
                  Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of birth: 1 May 1803
                  Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5 � ins Hair: Brown
                  Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1824
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at: Peterhead on: 24 March, 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 42 Can write: Yes

                  For Eve Coppen

                  No. 114263
                  James Begrie
                  Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 22 October 1829
                  Capacity: Apprentice Height 5ft � (sic!) Hair: Light
                  Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1843
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at Peterhead On 24 March 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 16 Can write: Yes

                  For Jeanine Bruce, Greig Williams, Alex Ritchie and Wade Buchan

                  No. 114265
                  John Reid
                  Born at: Rathven County: Banff Date of Birth: 15 March 1829
                  Capacity: Seaman Height 5ft � Hair: Light
                  Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1843
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at: Peterhead On 27 March 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 16 Can write: Yes

                  For Alex Ritchie

                  No. 114268
                  William Cow
                  Born at: Crimond County: Aldren Date of Birth: 8 January 1815
                  Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 1 � ins Hair: Black
                  Complexion: Sallow Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1831
                  When unemployed resides at: Burnhaven
                  Issued at Peterhead On 29 March, 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 30 Can write: Yes

                  For Wade

                  No. 114270
                  John Davidson
                  Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: ? March 1830
                  (Could be a �3�, but it�s indistinct)
                  Capacity: Apprentice Height: 5ft 2 � ins Hair: Light
                  Complexion: Fair Eyes: Black Marks; None
                  First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1845
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at: Peterhead On 31 March 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 15 Can write: Yes

                  For Sharon Inkster and Eve Coppen

                  No. 114277
                  George Mitchell
                  Born at: Aberdeen County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 24 April, 1808
                  Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 5 � ins Hair: Lt. Brown
                  Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1819
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at: Peterhead On: 14 April, 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 37 Can write: Yes

                  and last, but by no means least�

                  for Val Lowrie

                  No. 114290
                  James Cruickshanks
                  Born at: Ellon County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: (blank) July, 1819
                  Capacity: Landsman Height: 5ft 7 � ins Hair: Black
                  Complexion: Ruddy Eyes: Dark Marks: None
                  First went to sea as: (blank) In the year: 1841
                  When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
                  Issued at: Peterhead On: 1 May, 1845
                  Age when ticketed: 26 Can write: Yes

                  I hope I haven�t left anyone out and that, again, some of them will be
                  the people you were hoping they would be.

                  Best wishes,
                  Judy
                • James Durno Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 15, 1999
                    Thank you for the information about George Mitchell my great grandfather,
                    any other tit-bits would be more than welcome.
                    Durno Mitchell