DINNES & Diverall

  • Betty Holmes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      Is anyone researching Diverall/Divral,& Bruce in Peterhead. My husband's mother's family were
      from there. It is a long time since I did any research on them---It is so god to see the Peterhead list active again.
      DINNES- I have an ELIZABETH DINNES who married. in Peterhead. She was b. in Devon 1817, Died in Peterhead 1902 Married William Diveralll. [I don't have the date] Betty.

    • christina stark
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
        hi,
        i have a few bruces in my tree, where in peterhead did yours stay?
        kirst

        Betty Holmes <bede@...> wrote:
        Is anyone researching Diverall/Divral,& Bruce in Peterhead. My husband's mother's family were
        from there. It is a long time since I did any research on them---It is so god to see the Peterhead list active again.
        DINNES- I have an ELIZABETH DINNES who married. in Peterhead. She was b. in Devon 1817, Died in Peterhead 1902 Married William Diveralll. [I don't have the date] Betty.

      • roy_henderson_1955
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
          Betty,

          I think I saw a couple of Diverall headstones in the Kirkyard when I
          was looking through it last week. I'm not certain but I seem to
          remember thinking to myself that it was an unusual name. I'll take
          another look next time I'm down there and let you know ...

          Roy

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
            Thank you very much Roy. I look forward to receiving the information from the Toomstone. Betty.

          • roy_henderson_1955
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
              Betty,

              I went in past the Kirkyard this lunchtime and took a few quick
              phonecam shots which I have transcribed below. It was just too cold
              and windy to spend much time there - but I'll go back with some
              warmer clothes next time to pick up on the missing part.

              There are 3 stones in a row - one is obviously older than the other
              two because they are granite.

              The inscriptions are:

              Erected
              by
              James & Barbara Diverall
              in memory of
              their daughter Elizabeth
              who died 23rd Feby 1871 aged 29 years.
              also their son
              James who died in infancy.
              and their daughter
              Isabella who died 2nd Nov
              1847 aged 3 years.
              The above
              James Diverall died 17 Oct 1881
              aged 73 years.
              Also the above
              Barbara Diverall
              died 25th April 1892 aged 74 years.
              And their daughter
              Ann Smith Diverall
              died 10th July 1921 aged 70 years.

              ==================================

              Erected by
              William Diverall
              in loving memory
              of his beloved wife
              Elizabeth Dinnis
              who fell asleep resting on Jesus
              the 22nd day of November 1902
              aged 85 years
              The above
              William Diverall
              died 2nd December 1913
              aged 82 years

              In
              loving memory
              of
              William Gordon Diverall
              Book-keeper
              who died July 10th 1909
              aged 75 years
              also his son
              James
              who died Feb 19th 1873
              aged 4 years
              also
              Christian Johnston
              wife of the above
              who died November xxxxxx
              aged xx years

              Let me know in due course if you recognise any of the above or if
              any of the dates don't look quite right.

              If these graves are of interest then when the weather is a little
              better I will take proper pictures of them for you.

              Regards,